Relation between Frenet-Serret torsion and the torsion tensor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
lucyk
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this differential geometry question I've been struggling to find information on.

I (at least very roughly) understand the relationship between the Frenet-Serret curvature of a curve and the Riemann curvature of a general n-dimensional manifold: the curvature tensor is determined by the sectional curvatures of 2-D slices through the manifold, and Gauss's theorem relates these sectional curvatures to the curvature of curves along the two principal directions of the 2-D surface.

What I was wondering was is there a similar geometric relationship between the Frenet-Serret torsion of curves and the torsion tensor for a general manifold, and if so are there any good sources for reading about it?

Thanks,
Lucy
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ah beginning to see where to start looking. I have Aminov's 'Geometry of Submanifolds' and may also brave Spivak volume 3 or 4 for more on submanifolds... any other suggestions welcome