Relation between spin dephasing time T2* and spin relaxation time

• Thread starter rafaelg7
  • Start date
Homework Statement: spin dephasing time
Homework Equations: spin relaxation time

Hello, i have seen the next equation that relates the spin dephasing time of an ensemble of électrons T2* with the spin relaxation of a single electron T2, and I would like to know how it was deduced/proposed:

para preguntar.jpg

Thank you in advance

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It would be helpful if you included more information from your text, particularly what g_e is. I'm guessing that it's some type of coherence parameter. The "dephasing time" cannot be longer than the electron's relaxation time, and is shortened by decoherence of the ensemble. I imagine that g_e is related to the spatial field homogeneity.

DrClaude

Mentor
It would be helpful if you included more information from your text, particularly what g_e is.
It is the electron spin g-factor.

@rafaelg7: The equation comes from the precession of an electron in a magnetic field. You will find a derivation in most QM textbooks (as often, I recommend Cohen-Tannoudji for this). You can also look up