Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation of atomic and mass enrichment?

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am preparing for a job interview in some nuclear facility and have to refresh my knowledge about nuclear stuff. So I started reading the book of Lewis "Fundamentals of reactor physics". I got stuck at page 35, formula (2.24). Does anyone have a clue how to arrive at this equation? Where does this factor 0.0128 come from? I played with the formulas a lot but never arrive at this equation. Help would be really appreciated guys. Since I am not allowed to put a link, please put a http: inside the following and you will see the page.

//i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/DidgeFrank/Grafik1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Replace the N's in favor of the M's. Up to a constant factor, N ~ M/A, so Eq 2.20 is

ea = (M25/235)/((M25/235) + (M28/238))

Then get rid of the M's in favor of ew:

M25 = ew(M25 + M28)
    M28 = (1 - ew)(M25 + (M28)

This gives you

ea = (ew/235)/((ew/235) + ((1 - ew)/238)))

so now just multiply out.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The calculation of macroscopic cross-section requires atomic density, and enrichment on an atomic basis would be necessary. For manufacturing and accountability, the mass-based enrichment is required, since it is much easier to measure mass, and accountability records are provided in terms of mass.

Bill K provided the method to compare mass fraction with atomic fraction.

Remember that for an element or isotope, N = ρA/M, where ρ = density, A = Avogadro's Number, and M = atomic mass (of the element, which is weight by isotopic fractions, or by isotopic mass, if ρ is the isotpic mass density).

Try 238/235.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    Oh yes, thanks! I was fooling around with the densities because it is mentioned in the text but this leads to nowhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook