Relation vs Function: Physical Phenomena Explained

In summary: Just consider an equation and a function equivalent if they are in the form "something = something else". The something else may be an expression that includes variables, or it may be a number.
thedy
Hi,I hope my question will be clear.I need to be explained me one problem.That is:
Can be expressed physical law,for example average speed like relation,but not like a function?Or speed can be only the function?I mean,why we use functions to describe physical phenomena?Is possible to describe every phenomenon with function and also by relation?For example a2 + b2 = c2 is relation,but can be it converted like a function?
I know,that my question is strange,but I m trying to understand,why we use function,and if the function is one of many possible ways to describe a nature.
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The question is confusing. Are you concerned with a mathematical distinction between relation and function or some physics question?

In mathematics, a function is a special case of a relation. Examples: y=f(x) describes a function, g(x,y)=0 is a relation.

Physical quantities have the property that "if all conditions are set exactly the same, then the result is the same". That implies that physical quantities will always be functions of their conditions.

Thanks,I give an example.v=s/t...This is a function.But does exist any relation between position and time and velocity,which is not a function?I mean,why all physical laws are functions?Why cannot be physical laws converted to somethin else,which is not function?
Thanks

Well what else do you want?

I can say for constant velocity that Velocity is proportional to distance traveled and inversely proportionally to time elapsed...but I'm really saying the exact same thing as ##V=\frac{s}{t}##; just in a different way.

thedy said:
Thanks,I give an example.v=s/t...This is a function.But does exist any relation between position and time and velocity,which is not a function?I

If we have data of the form (v,s,t) for an object, the variable t is not a function of (v,s) if the object returns to the same position s with the same velocity v several times. (Such would be the case in periodic motion.)

why all physical laws are functions?

Not all physical laws are functions of every variable involved in them. In most physical laws, at least some variables are functions of the rest. I think this is just a sociological phenomena. People find formulas that make definite predictions are useful. Formulas that make definite predictions are functions. People call formulas that they find useful "physical laws".

If you want to find a non-sociological reason why most "physical laws" are functions, you have to state a non-sociological definition of "physical law". What makes a particular (true) fact a "physical law" besides people deciding to call it a "physical law"?

Hi,I was reading this thread once again to make a better image,what you mentioned.And I have one more question.I do not know,if it is good understandable question,but I am wondering,what is the real difference between equation and function.I give an example:pV=nRT is equation.But it is not a function,Why?And then if i divide by volume this equation I get p=nRT/V.And this is a function now.But actually neither in form of equation nor in form of function,we have not higher or lower quantity of information?Why am I asking that?Because in another website was mentioned that physical laws are mostly in form of equation,like this Vp=nRT.But if I arrange this equation to the form p=nRT/V it is still physical law,state equation.
So my major question is,what is difference between equation and function in context of physical law and if law are expressed like equation,why is it so,and if like function,why is it so too...I do not need exact answers which are on high level,but I just want to make a first step to better understand,how these stuffs work.How physical law works...I am reading The character of physical law,but if you have any other tip of good book,feel free to mention it...
Thanks a lot...

pV = nRT is a relation. To consider it a function define which variable (p,V,n,T) is the dependent variable, then change the equation into a form "dependent variable" = function(everything else). It is still an equation, but it is now in function form.

I have a feeling you are overthinking.

Related to Relation vs Function: Physical Phenomena Explained

What is the difference between relation and function?

A relation is a set of ordered pairs that show the relationship between two variables. A function is a type of relation where each input has only one output. In other words, every input in a function leads to exactly one output, while a relation can have multiple outputs for the same input.

How do relations and functions relate to physical phenomena?

Physical phenomena can be described and analyzed using mathematical equations, which often involve relations and functions. These concepts help us understand and predict how different variables are related to each other in a physical system.

What are some real-world examples of relations and functions?

A real-world example of a relation is the distance-time graph of a car's motion. The x-axis represents time, and the y-axis represents distance. Each point on the graph represents an ordered pair of time and distance. A real-world example of a function is the conversion of Celsius to Fahrenheit. For each input value of Celsius, there is only one output value of Fahrenheit.

Can a relation be a function?

Yes, a relation can be a function if each input has only one output. However, not all relations are functions. For example, a vertical line on a graph represents a relation, but it is not a function because one input value can have multiple output values.

How can we determine if a relation is a function?

To determine if a relation is a function, we can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line intersects the graph of a relation in more than one point, then the relation is not a function. If the vertical line only intersects the graph at one point, then the relation is a function.