Relational QM Example, Contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the "relational" interpretation of quantum mechanics (RQM) and a potential contradiction that arises when applying it to the Wigner's friend experiment. This contradiction arises when the composite system of the friend and the qubit is put through an operation, leading to different results for the friend and Wigner. The link provided discusses the role of decoherence in resolving this contradiction, but it raises questions about the validity of RQM as an interpretation. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the discrepancy and whether RQM can only work after complete decoherence.
msumm21
TL;DR Summary
I started reading about the “relational” interpretation of quantum mechanics, but it at first seems contradictory. An example of such a contradiction is provided. I'd like to understand where I'm going wrong.
I started reading about the “relational” interpretation of QM (RQM). I’m stuck on what appears to be a contradiction. The simplest way I can think to explain it is with a slight complication added to the Wigner’s friend experiment, adding an extra operation after the friend F measures the qubit. Maybe someone can see where I'm going wrong?

Wigner’s friend F measures a qubit, initially ##|0\rangle + |1\rangle##, revealing either state ##|0\rangle## or ##|1\rangle##. If Wigner doesn’t know this result, my understanding is that RQM says the state of the qubit and F is the superposition ##|F_0 0\rangle + |F_1 1\rangle## (according to Wigner). At this point (normal Wigner’s friend), I understand F and Wigner are using different states, but don’t yet see a potential contradiction. However, the next step is where things don’t make sense to me.

Let’s put this composite system (F and the qubit) through the operation ##A## (defined below). The result afterward will always be ##A(|F_0 0\rangle + |F_1 1\rangle) = |F_0 0\rangle## (according to Wigner). However, the friend, using state ##|F_0 0\rangle## (or ##|F_1 1\rangle##), thinks the state ends up ##A|F_0 0\rangle = |F_0 0\rangle+|F_1 1\rangle## (or ##A|F_1 1\rangle = |F_0 0\rangle-|F_1 1\rangle##). So, from what I gather, RQM says Wigner would always measure the final state of this system to be ##|F_0 0\rangle##, but F concludes he measure 1 half the time. So W and F get different results (half the time) from the same experiment, right? Is this OK somehow?

Operation A maps basis vectors like this:
##A|F_0 0\rangle = |F_0 0\rangle+|F_1 1\rangle##,
##A|F_1 1\rangle = |F_0 0\rangle-|F_1 1\rangle##,
##A|F_0 1\rangle = |F_0 1\rangle##, and
##A|F_1 0\rangle = |F_1 0\rangle##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link. I don't think it resolves my problem though. In the context of my example, they assume the qubit and F interact with an environment E and decohere before any subsequent operation A. I agree this would resolve the apparent contradiction, but presumably RQM needs to work even without this extra step of decoherence, right?

You're welcome. Given all the conditions and so on, like that decoherence is relative to a system, that a fact relative to F can become true for W, without W interacting with F, or subtleties such as allowing for "another system W′ that couples differently to these systems might still be able to detect interference effects", I don’t see a problem with the description of the interpretation.

*now* said:
You're welcome. Given all the conditions and so on, like that decoherence is relative to a system, that a fact relative to F can become true for W, without W interacting with F, or subtleties such as allowing for "another system W′ that couples differently to these systems might still be able to detect interference effects", I don’t see a problem with the description of the interpretation.
Do you agree that F and W get inconsistent results, but think that's OK, or do you not agree that F and W can get inconsistent results?

In found this paper, link below, where Rovelli seems to have pointed out the problem (page 4, right column, after “Hypothesis 1”). Speaking of such interference effects, he says “these discrepancies are likely to be minute, as shown by the beautiful discovery of the physical mechanism of decoherence.” I feel like I must be missing something, is it true that RQM only works in such scenarios after complete decoherence? If so, why would it be taken seriously as an interpretation?

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9609002

Yes, I think in a context in which the conditions are met, Wigner and Friend agree. I think rather than requirement for complete decoherence, an approximate nature is described e.g., “ These observations show that decoherence does not imply that there is a perfectly classical world of absolute facts, although it does explain why (and when) we can reason in terms of stable, hence approximatively classical, facts.2”, and there is a limit case absent decoherence, so, I don’t think the follow on question applies.

Last edited:

1. What is the Relational QM example?

The Relational QM example is a thought experiment that illustrates the concept of quantum mechanics by using the analogy of two distant observers measuring the spin of a particle.

2. How does the Relational QM example demonstrate a contradiction?

The Relational QM example shows a contradiction by demonstrating that the measurement of the spin of a particle can be different depending on the observer's frame of reference, which goes against the principle of objective reality in classical physics.

3. What is the significance of this contradiction in quantum mechanics?

This contradiction highlights the fundamental differences between classical physics and quantum mechanics, and challenges our understanding of reality and the role of the observer in scientific experiments.

4. Is the Relational QM example a valid representation of quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Relational QM example is a valid representation of quantum mechanics as it accurately portrays the concept of superposition and the role of the observer in determining the outcome of a measurement.

5. How does the Relational QM example relate to other quantum paradoxes?

The Relational QM example is similar to other quantum paradoxes, such as the Schrödinger's cat paradox, in that it challenges our understanding of reality and the role of the observer in quantum mechanics. However, it differs in its focus on the relationship between two distant observers and their measurements.