1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Electroplating and Kinetic Theory

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have this assignment from my chemistry teacher and it asks to relate electroplating with the kinetic theory? I don't really understand how the kinetic theory has anything to do with redox, or other chemistry applications.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I thought about how concentration of the electrolyte could affect electroplating, but those this have anything to do with the kinetic theory? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    I use a mac computer, so the application cannot run :redface:

in the case of electroplating, does this mean the kinetic theory regarding solids/liquids or gases? because the cations and anions are ions so I'm not sure :confused:

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

Borek

Kinetic theory in the most general case treats everything as small, colliding balls. Ions in the solution behave exactly the same way. In liquids these "balls" interact even when not colliding, so liquids have a (more or less) constant volume, as opposed to gases.

6. Oct 19, 2011 #5
    "Whatever is going to be reduced must hit the electrode to do so"- okay so for kinetic theory and electroplating I should be writing about how particles within the electrolyte must collide with the electrode for redox to occur...

I could also talk about the collision theory as well right? how there needs to be enough concentration of ions and temperature? :shy:

7. Oct 19, 2011 #6

Borek

Collision theory is about the reaction speed - yes, it plays a role here as well. But it plays a role in every chemical process, so it is hardly surprising.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook