Chemical Kinetics: do not understand anything

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of chemical kinetics and the difficulty in determining instantaneous rates exactly. It is mentioned that chemical reactions involve a large number of particles and only averages are meaningful. The conversation also mentions that quantum mechanical calculations may be needed for exact rates, but this may be outside the scope of what is being taught. The speakers also discuss their struggles with understanding the topic and mention the lack of resources and budget at their public school.
burr.valentin

Homework Statement

Our chemistry teacher just learned about chemical kinetics. I've been working with the calculus teacher to find out how to determine instantaneous rates exactly. We don't have any equation. Could someone explain this please?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find instantaneous rates exactly. Chemical reactions take place between [tex]\approx 10^{22}[/tex] particles, the only meaningful quantities are averages.

Even if you're looking at a single set of molecules in a reaction, the exact rates depend on detailed quantum mechanical calculations---I assume this is outside the scope of what you're looking for.

Can you be more precise in what you want to learn / achieve? Or what exactly you're having trouble understanding?

"Our chemistry teacher just learned about chemical kinetics"
this statement bothers me on many levels. Are they trying to teach it now? As stated above, I am not sure of your question.

instantaneous rate of a reaction can't b found exactly......as far as i know
reactions deal with the changes in quantities which rarely have any independent existence.
Also these changes constitute energy absorption/release in many ways...light, heat most probably in heat. combining all these phenomenon n restricting them to a single equation is something that just can't be imagined...but may be oneday we may succeed in doing so!

Our chemistry teacher actually has a degree in English Literature. We have no budget. I bought a few textbooks online and taught him the rate laws, etc. I also showed him a graphical approximations for finding tangent lines. I go to a public school. We have no budget.

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the branch of chemistry that studies the rate of chemical reactions and the factors that affect them.

2. How is the rate of a chemical reaction determined?

The rate of a chemical reaction is determined by measuring the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done through experiments or mathematical calculations.

3. What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, surface area of reactants, and the nature of the reactants.

4. What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is a detailed step-by-step explanation of the process by which a reaction occurs. It includes all the individual elementary steps involved in the reaction.

5. How is chemical kinetics important in real-life applications?

Chemical kinetics is important in understanding and controlling chemical reactions in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and materials production. It also plays a role in environmental processes, such as atmospheric chemistry and pollution control.