Relationship between length of rubber beam and time to come to rest

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the length of a rubber beam, its time to come to rest, and other controlled factors. The equation T=kL^2 is used to represent this relationship, but the question remains as to why the relationship is squared. One explanation is that the shorter the beam, the faster it moves, leading to a shorter time to come to rest due to energy loss. Additionally, stiffness may play a role in the time to come to rest, as it affects the period of motion in simple harmonic motion. The equation T = cx^2 is suggested as a better representation of this relationship.
never4getthis

Homework Statement

Imagine a rubber beam. One en is fixed and the other is pulled down 5cm and released. The beam wobbles until it comes to rest.

Independent (what I change): length of rubber beam
Dependent (what I measure): time to come to rest
Controlled (what stays the same): everything else

Homework Equations

I got a relationship of T=kL^2

The question is why this relationship. I can´t seem t find the answer

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the observations was that the shorter the beam, the faster it moved. When given potential energy (when ppulled down), then released, part of it gos to KE and the rest to termal (energy loss). If it moves faster, it looses energy faster so the time to come to rest should be less. This explains why it increases with length but not the x-squared relationship.

On the internet I have see things about stiffness, an iron beam, to support the same weight has to have a stiffness of the squared of the length. but does stiffness affect the time to come to rest?

This might also go into SHM, but I'm not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
For a cantilever beam fixed at one end and free at the other, the effective spring constant , k, varies inversely with the cube of the length. The period of motion if undamped varies as the square root of the mass/k ratio, in simple harmonic motion. So if you halve the length of the beam, it's stiffness increases by a factor of 8, and its mass decreases by a factor of 2. In your equation for T = kx^2, the constant k is not the same as the beam's spring constant. So you might want to use a different letter to designate the constant, like T = cx^2, and show why (note, i have not included the complexity of energy loss during damped harmonic motion, but the principle still holds, I believe, by calculating the period of the motion as if undamped.).

1. What is the relationship between the length of a rubber beam and the time it takes to come to rest?

The length of a rubber beam and the time it takes to come to rest have an inverse relationship. This means that as the length of the rubber beam increases, the time it takes to come to rest decreases. Similarly, as the length of the rubber beam decreases, the time to come to rest increases.

2. How does the elasticity of the rubber beam affect the time it takes to come to rest?

The elasticity of the rubber beam directly affects the time it takes to come to rest. A more elastic rubber beam will take longer to come to rest compared to a less elastic rubber beam. This is because a more elastic rubber beam can absorb more energy and bounce back, prolonging the time it takes to come to rest.

3. Is there a maximum length of a rubber beam that will result in the longest time to come to rest?

Yes, there is a maximum length of a rubber beam that will result in the longest time to come to rest. This length is known as the critical length. When the rubber beam exceeds the critical length, it will break instead of coming to rest, resulting in an infinite time to come to rest.

4. What other factors can affect the time it takes for a rubber beam to come to rest?

Apart from the length and elasticity of the rubber beam, other factors that can affect the time it takes for a rubber beam to come to rest include the initial velocity, the surface on which it is bouncing, and the air resistance. These factors can alter the amount of energy absorbed and dissipated by the rubber beam, thus affecting the time it takes to come to rest.

5. How can the relationship between length of rubber beam and time to come to rest be used in real-world applications?

The relationship between the length of rubber beam and time to come to rest is commonly used in engineering and physics applications, such as in designing shock absorbers for vehicles or calculating the time it takes for a bouncing ball to stop. It can also be used to study the properties of different materials and their elasticity. Additionally, this relationship can be used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion, making it a valuable tool in various fields of science and technology.