1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between remanence (B_r) and Magnetization (M)

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I have scoured through scores of websites but haven't found a reasonable solution. The thought problem goes like this. Take any NdFeB magnet which is saturated say to B_r =1.3 T. Is there a magnetization (M) value that corresponds to the this remanence. I have been able to find a few relations but then in the end I am still left with unknowns. For example χm (perhaps read as "Ki"). And even those are not easy to find for materials like NdFeB.

So the question is, is there a linear relationship between remanent field and magnetization? Many websites refer to magnetization as if it is the same as remanence. That I know for sure it is not.

Regards,

-sgsawant

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2
    If the magnet has a closed shape, like a torus, then the remanence field Br equals mu0 times the magnetization because the H field is null. In an open magnet the B field is less than Br.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook