1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between B and H fields in cylindrical magnetization

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    So I've been simulating a really simple geometry using ANSYS Maxwell. It is a cylinder only and I am looking at the [itex]\overrightarrow{B}[/itex] and [itex]\overrightarrow{H}[/itex] fields in order to see their relationship between them when the material is magnetized in the circumferential direction. I used a cylindrical coordinate system to describe the magnetization. So the direction of magnetization is in the [itex]\phi[/itex] direction.

[itex]\overrightarrow{B}[/itex] using a BH-curve to define the magnetic material:
    [Broken]

[itex]\overrightarrow{H}[/itex] using a BH-curve to define the magnetic material:
    [Broken]

[itex]\overrightarrow{B}[/itex] using a scalar to define the magnetic material:
    [Broken]

[itex]\overrightarrow{H}[/itex] using a scalar to define the magnetic material:
    [Broken]

Notice that both BH-curve defined and scalar defined magnetic materials exhibit a kind of random/noise [itex]\overrightarrow{H}[/itex]. What is causing this phenomenon? Isn't [itex]\overrightarrow{H}[/itex] supposed to be in same direction as [itex]\overrightarrow{B}[/itex] external to the material and in the opposite direction interior?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possibly its an artifact of the finite-sized and coarse meshing, and of finite-precision arithmetic effects (number of digits, roundoff error, etc). The results are wrong in other ways as well; for instance, there should be no fields outside the cylinder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook