1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between sine and tangent

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    hey guys...so my teacher gave me this lil assignment and she said to explain (in words) the relationship between sine and tangent and cosine and tangent.i have no clue what im doing...so if someone could PLEASE explain this to me...i will be so greatful!
    thankz

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2
    sine...

hey guys...so my teacher gave me this lil assignment and she said to explain (in words) the relationship between sine and tangent and cosine and tangent.i have no clue what im doing...so if someone could PLEASE explain this to me...i will be so greatful!
    thankz

4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    what were you told in class about them? Does SOH CAH TOA mean anything of importance?

5. Oct 2, 2006 #4
    no i don't think it has anything to do with that...we were looking at the graphs of sine,cosine and tangent today in class and she told us to explain the relationships...so i have so clue what she really ment

6. Oct 2, 2006 #5
  7. Oct 2, 2006 #6
    yea...i already read that...and there wasn't really any helpful information.but thankz anyways

8. Oct 2, 2006 #7
    I don't know how you can explain those things "in words," but I'll give it a try.

Sine, Cosine, and Tangent, are essentially defined in terms of angles and sides of a right triangle. [tex]\sin(\theta)[/tex] is a function which takes an angle of a right triangle as its input and returns the ratio of the length of the opposite side and the length of the hypotonuse. Similarly [tex]\cos(\theta)[/tex] is a function which takes an angle of a right triangle as its input and returns the ratio of the length of the adjacent side and the length of the hypotonuse. Likewise, [tex]\tan(\theta)[/tex] is a function which takes an angle of a right triangle as its input and returns the ratio of the length of the opposite side and the length of the adjacent side.

9. Oct 2, 2006 #8
  10. Oct 2, 2006 #9
    If you have a point [tex] P(x,y) [/tex] on the unit circle, then [tex] x = \cos \theta [/tex], [tex] y = \sin \theta [/tex], and [tex] \tan x [/tex] is the ratio of the y-coordinate over the x-coordinate or [tex] \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} [/tex].

11. Oct 3, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This was also posted in the homework section. I'm merging the two threads.

12. Oct 3, 2006 #11

Gib Z

Homework Helper

well, i think, seeing as you were studying the graphs, they wants you to realise the sine graph divided by cos graph equated to the tangent graph. eg they wanted you to realise the tan graph wasnt defined were cos equalled zero (division by zero impossible). and notice that the values of tan and sin were the same wen cos equalled one, etc etc.hopefully this helped.

of course this simple relation is easy to see.
    sin= opposite/hypotenuse
    cos= ajacent/hypotenuse

(o/h)/(a/h)= o/a

opposite/adjacent, as we well know, it the tan ratio.

13. Oct 3, 2006 #12

Thats what I said with SOH CAH TOA

14. Oct 3, 2006 #13
    o well i got it...it has to do with the the period,amplitude,max,min,domain and range.thankz for ur help everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?