Relationship between stellar mass and core mass?

In summary: When they measure these frequencies, they can determine the size and shape of the core. The core is the region on the inside of a star where waves travel the most easily. This is why we can see earthquakes on the moon because the moon has a core of solid rock. Astroseismologists study resonant frequencies in stars in order to determine the size and shape of the core. When they measure these frequencies, they can determine the size and composition of the core.
bbbl67
Is there an astrophysical relationship between the how large a star's core gets and how large the star itself gets? Is it a simple linear percentage, or something more complex? For example, red dwarfs can fuse their entire hydrogen allocation, so the whole star is the core. But the Sun has a core that is only 35% of its mass. How about larger stars like blue giants?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
bbbl67 said:
For example, red dwarfs can fuse their entire hydrogen allocation, so the whole star is the core.

Red dwarfs can fuse their entire supply of hydrogen because they are convective throughout their entire volume instead of only part of it like larger stars. I'm fairly certain that the core is still a small area near the center where the overwhelming majority of fusion is taking place.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question though, but I hope to find out.

Depends on the definition what "core" is.

I believe the solar value of around 30% of the mass in the core is fairly ubiquitous for main-sequence stars, where "core" means the region where central fusion is happening when it is happening, or the region inside the shell fusion when it isn't. For stars that eventually achieve core helium burning, most have that occur when the core mass (of pure helium) is about a half a solar mass, so in the core helium fusing phase, it's not the fractional mass but the total mass of the core that tends to be similar. Then shell helium fusion adds even more to that, so what ends up being the core when the envelope is shed and a white dwarf is made can be more like a solar mass (for stars that have had time to make white dwarfs).

nikkkom said:
Depends on the definition what "core" is.
Well, you tell me what definitions of "core" there are that you know of.

Ken G said:
I believe the solar value of around 30% of the mass in the core is fairly ubiquitous for main-sequence stars, where "core" means the region where central fusion is happening when it is happening, or the region inside the shell fusion when it isn't. For stars that eventually achieve core helium burning, most have that occur when the core mass (of pure helium) is about a half a solar mass, so in the core helium fusing phase, it's not the fractional mass but the total mass of the core that tends to be similar. Then shell helium fusion adds even more to that, so what ends up being the core when the envelope is shed and a white dwarf is made can be more like a solar mass (for stars that have had time to make white dwarfs).
So what you're saying is that during the main sequence phase, all large stars (i.e. not red-dwarfs), from the Sun on up to R136a1, will have an approximately 0.3 solar mass core? That the largest stars just burn through their 0.3 SM cores faster?

I think even the red dwarfs have cores like that, in rough terms-- the exact fraction varies with mass and age. As mentioned above, the fusing cores of highly convective stars are always pulling in new gas, so for them, the core is not a region of different composition, but it can be for stars with quieter radiative cores like our Sun. But yes, the more luminous stars simply burn through their cores faster.

bbbl67 said:
Well, you tell me what definitions of "core" there are that you know of.

Waves travel through an object and refract at phase boundaries. The core is the region on the inside. We know that the Earth and moon have cores because of earthquakes (moonquakes). Astroseismologists study resonant frequencies in stars.

What is the relationship between stellar mass and core mass?

The relationship between stellar mass and core mass is a direct one, with the core mass being a smaller fraction of the total stellar mass for smaller stars and a larger fraction for larger stars. This is due to the fact that smaller stars have lower temperatures and pressures in their cores, making it easier for nuclear fusion to occur and thus requiring a smaller core mass to sustain the star's energy production.

How does the relationship between stellar mass and core mass affect a star's lifespan?

The relationship between stellar mass and core mass has a significant impact on a star's lifespan. Generally, the larger the core mass is in relation to the total stellar mass, the shorter the star's lifespan will be. This is because a larger core mass means a higher rate of nuclear fusion, resulting in a faster depletion of the star's fuel and a shorter overall lifespan.

What is the role of core mass in determining a star's evolution?

Core mass plays a crucial role in a star's evolution. As a star ages and burns through its fuel, its core mass increases due to the fusion of lighter elements into heavier ones. This increase in core mass can eventually trigger a change in the star's structure and behavior, leading to events such as the expansion into a red giant or the collapse into a supernova.

Can the relationship between stellar mass and core mass vary among different types of stars?

Yes, the relationship between stellar mass and core mass can vary among different types of stars. For example, low-mass stars like red dwarfs have a larger core mass in proportion to their total stellar mass compared to high-mass stars like blue giants. This is due to differences in their internal temperature and pressure profiles, as well as the type of nuclear fusion occurring in their cores.

How do scientists measure the core mass of a star?

Measuring the core mass of a star is a challenging task, as the core is often hidden beneath the star's outer layers. However, scientists can use various techniques such as asteroseismology, which studies the oscillations of a star's surface to infer its internal structure and core mass. They can also use observations of a star's luminosity and temperature to estimate its core mass through theoretical models and comparisons with other stars of similar mass and evolutionary stage.