• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Relationship between temperature and wavelength?

1. Homework Statement
A tuning fork with a frequency of 420 Hz emits sound with a wavelength of 0.82 m in air. If the temperature of the air increases, what will happen to the wavelength and why?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know temperature affects speed but I am not so sure how it affects wavelength.
Maybe:
When the temperature increases the speed will increase, therefore the wavelength will increase because the particles are spread apart? ( Just a thought)

Please explain, any help appreciated!

berkeman

Mentor
1. Homework Statement
A tuning fork with a frequency of 420 Hz emits sound with a wavelength of 0.82 m in air. If the temperature of the air increases, what will happen to the wavelength and why?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know temperature affects speed but I am not so sure how it affects wavelength.
Maybe:
When the temperature increases the speed will increase, therefore the wavelength will increase because the particles are spread apart? ( Just a thought)

Please explain, any help appreciated!
You did not list the Relevant Equation that relates wave speed, wavelength and frequency. Use the units of the quantities to help you write the equation without looking it up... :smile: