Relationship between velocity of wheel and car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dan38
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
So I've designed a car which is powered by a falling mass.
Using Energy Questions, i.e. mgh = 0.5*I*w2
I've worked out the angular velocity of the wheel; so my question is whether this represents this velocity of the whole car or do I need to multiply this value by 4?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi dan38! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
dan38 said:
Using Energy Questions, i.e. mgh = 0.5*I*w2
I've worked out the angular velocity of the wheel; so my question is whether this represents this velocity of the whole car or do I need to multiply this value by 4?

your RHS needs to be the total energy of the car, ie 4 times the rotational kinetic energy of each wheel, plus the ordinary translational kinetic energy of the car-plus-wheels :wink:
 
ohh i see, so basically we have mass attached to a string connected to a rotating skewer with two wheels on either side.
so my workings would be:
mgh = 0.5*m*v2 + 4*0.5*I*w2

Where v = Speed of Car and m = Mass of Car
w = Rotational Speed of Wheels

And by figuring out the speed of the string, I can use the relationship v = w*r to find "w" of the wheel?
:D