Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between vertex function and current

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1
    Is there a proof or obvious reason why the vertex function is related to the current via:

[tex]S(p')\Gamma^\mu(p',p)S(p)=-\int \int dxdy e^{ipx}e^{-ipy} \langle T \psi(x) j^\mu(0) \bar{\psi}(y)\rangle [/tex]

In the free-field case one can see it's true. But the interacting case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2013 #2
    I would use that expression as a definition of the vertex function in the interacting case. The right hand side becomes an infinite perturbation series for the measurable/physical quantity on the left.

Actually, I notice it implies using bare propagators on the LHS, so the expression does not contain external leg corrections. I believe this definition is used to include only the irreducible vertex corrections, and one defines irreducible propagator corrections separately (self-energy), so that when building higher order diagrams one can easily keep track of divergences. (Also, if you're using LSZ to get S-matrix elements, you should leave off the legs anyways)

4. Jul 14, 2013 #3
    I can't see how the RHS of the equation is irreducible. I'm assuming [tex]j^\mu(0)=\psi(0)\gamma^\mu \bar{\psi}(0) [/tex], and the entire RHS side, when done perturbatively, seems to sum all diagrams with two electrons and a photon, with the photon polarization left off. This would include the reducible diagrams too.

This is actually comes from a proof of the Ward identity using the operator formalism, so we're not trying to get S-matrix elements

5. Jul 14, 2013 #4
    Actually, you're right, this isn't the irreducible vertex function. Also, I think the S's are the exact electron propagators to be consistent with the RHS. In that case, gamma is the amputated three-point function. It's consistent with the standard definition of gamma in its relation to the S-matrix for the interaction of electrons with an external field, and it's use in defining the electric charge and magnetic moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook