Relationship of Moments of Inertia

In summary, the speaker needs help finding the polar moment of inertia for an old FORTRAN program. They have the mass, volume, radius of gyration, and moment of inertias about each axis, but cannot find the polar moment of inertia. They are looking for either someone who knows how to get J in Unigraphics NX5.0 or a relationship between the values they have and the polar moment of inertia. The speaker also mentions that CAD programs usually do not provide the polar moment of inertia, but they can use the inertial tensor to find it. They also provide a formula for the polar moment of inertia and suggest looking at the radius of gyration to relate conventional MOI to PMOI. A quick example is also attached
minger
Science Advisor
Hey guys, I need some help. I have an old fortran program that needs axial moment of inertia as well as polar moment of inertia.

I have the part in Unigraphics NX5.0, where I can get the mass, volume, radius of gyration, and moment of inertias about each axis. However, I cannot find where to get polar moment of inertia.

So, I guess I either need someone who knows how to get J in NX, or some sort of relationship between the values I have and polar moment of inertia. I don't really think there is a direct relationship, but I'm struggling.

Thanks a lot guys,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Every CAD program I have used will not give you the polar moment of inertia except for maybe solidworks, but they should all give you the inertial tensor which can be used to find the PMOI. There is a duality between conventional MOI and your PMOI. The PMOI is simply defined as:

J = [tex]\int[/tex]r2dA

Of course wiki, has lots of info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_moment_of_inertia

For relating the two to each other, look at radius of gyration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_gyration

You can take that relationship one step further and say that

[tex]J = I_x + I_y[/tex]

Attached is a quick example

Attachments

• Moment of Inertia.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 791
Last edited:
Oh fantastic. So, if I need the Mass and Polar Moment of Inertia about an axis, the normal MMOI is I_x (assuming x in the axial direction) and J = I_y + I_z.

Great, appreciate the help guys.

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia related to an object's shape?

The moment of inertia is influenced by an object's mass distribution and shape. Objects with larger mass and/or a greater distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia, making them more resistant to rotational motion.

3. What is the relationship between moments of inertia and rotational kinetic energy?

The rotational kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that the greater the moment of inertia, the more energy is required to rotate the object at a given speed.

4. How does the moment of inertia differ for different types of motion?

The moment of inertia can vary depending on the type of motion an object is undergoing. For example, the moment of inertia for an object rotating around its center of mass is different than an object rotating around a different axis. The moment of inertia also changes depending on the direction of the rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used in the design of machines and structures to ensure stability and efficient motion. It is also used in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, to understand their rotational behavior.