What would be the ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam?

In summary, this conversation is about how to optimize a beam for maximum load without failing. The optimal structure is determined by taking a cross section and optimizing it.
Johnstonator
Pretty much the title. Just some brain teasers I'm trying to figure out.

I can't think of how a cross section would come into play when it comes to axial loading. Buckling? Since the critical force for buckling is proportional to moment of inertia, so theoretically if I have a high moment of inertia about a specfic axis (like an I beam) the greater the critical force I can apply, thus "ideal"?

But then again, I could have a very large rectangular or circular solid beam and handle axial loading but how would I determine if it's ideal or not?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer is an application specific optimization. A beam is loaded with a bending moment. It may have an axial load. You have to analyze for all possible failure modes.

Some (not all) failure modes include tensile yield, compressive yield, compressive buckling, and web crippling. The optimal structural member will be designed so that it almost fails by every possible failure mode at the same time when it is subjected to the maximum load. You take a cross section, such as I-beam or rectangular box, then optimize it. Then take another cross section and optimize that. Repeat until you find the lightest possible beam.

How to optimize: Start with a simple shape, such as a circular tube. A thick wall tube will fail by yielding. A thin wall tube will fail by buckling. Somewhere in between is a wall thickness and diameter where the yield failure load will be the same as the buckling failure load. That tube will be the optimal circular tube. Then repeat with a rectangular box tube, an I-beam, etc.

An example of an optimal structure is the well known poem about the (fictional) One Hoss Shay: https://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/content/deacons-masterpiece-or-wonderful-one-hoss-shay-logical-story.

• Informative
Likes jack action, Lnewqban, hutchphd and 2 others
Johnstonator said:
But then again, I could have a very large rectangular or circular solid beam and handle axial loading but how would I determine if it's ideal or not?
Your analysis has made an assumption that the beam section will remain constant. A tapered truss able to do the same job, would cost more to fabricate, but would weigh less than a standard section.

1. What is the purpose of determining the ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam?

The ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam is important because it ensures that the beam can withstand the applied load without experiencing excessive deflection or failure. This is crucial in structural design and engineering to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam?

Several factors should be taken into account, including the material properties of the beam, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, the desired deflection and stress limits, and any environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. These factors will influence the selection of the appropriate cross-sectional shape and dimensions.

3. How does the material choice affect the ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam?

The material properties, such as strength, stiffness, and density, will determine the maximum load that the beam can withstand and the amount of deflection it will experience. Different materials have different load-bearing capacities and may require different cross-sectional shapes and dimensions to achieve the desired strength and stiffness.

4. Can the ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam be determined using a standard formula?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all formula for determining the ideal cross section of a cantilever beam. The design process involves considering multiple factors and using engineering principles and calculations to determine the most suitable cross-sectional shape and dimensions for the specific application.

5. How can computer simulations and modeling be used to determine the ideal cross section of an axially loaded cantilever beam?

Computer-aided design (CAD) software and finite element analysis (FEA) can be used to simulate the behavior of a cantilever beam under different loading conditions and with various cross-sectional shapes and dimensions. This allows for the optimization of the beam design to achieve the desired strength and stiffness while minimizing weight and material usage.