Relative extrema problem for Essentials of Calculus

In summary, there are no solutions to the equation f'(x) = 0. Extreme values can occur at points other than where the deriviative is zero. What are these other points?
Nawz

Homework Statement

Find the relative extrema of each function, if they exist. List each extremum along with the x-value at which it occurs. Then sketch a graph of the function.

25. f(x)=1-x2/3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f prime of (x)= -2/3x-1/3

-2/3x-1/3= 0

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Nawz said:

Homework Statement

Find the relative extrema of each function, if they exist. List each extremum along with the x-value at which it occurs. Then sketch a graph of the function.

25. f(x)=1-x2/3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f prime of (x)= -2/3x-1/3

-2/3x-1/3= 0
??
There are no solutions to the equation f'(x) = 0. Extreme values can occur at points other than where the deriviative is zero. What are these other points?

Thanks for the help, I figured it out.

It was (x)=0 for f'(x) , idk why I couldn't see that. so when i put that in the original equation i got 1. So the x point was (0,1) . And then I found the remaning points on the graph and it was correct with the back of the book answer.

Thank you

If i have another questions, can i just ask here or should i make a new topic? It's the same type of questions just another problem?

Last edited:
Nawz said:
Thanks for the help, I figured it out.

It was (x)=0 for f'(x) , idk why I couldn't see that. so when i put that in the original equation i got 1. So the x point was (0,1) . And then I found the remaning points on the graph and it was correct with the back of the book answer.
But x = 0 is not a solution of f'(x) = 0, and that's what you were looking for. Do you understand why x = 0 is an extreme point?
Nawz said:
Thank you

If i have another questions, can i just ask here or should i make a new topic? It's the same type of questions just another problem?
Please start a new thread.

Mark44 said:
But x = 0 is not a solution of f'(x) = 0, and that's what you were looking for. Do you understand why x = 0 is an extreme point?

Please start a new thread.

No i don't know what you mean. I came back from class but I remember this problem still. (0,1) was the realtive maximum at least I am fairly sure. I don't need a solution, i just needed the relative extrema which is (0,1) and then sketch... that's right, isn't it?

Yes, (0, 1) is the maximum point. An extreme point of a function f can occur at any of the following:
1. Points at which f'(x) = 0
2. Points in the domain of f at which f' is undefined
3. Endpoints of the domain of f

The work you showed in your first post was toward the first point above, but for your function, there are no values x for which f'(x) = 0. It wasn't clear to me that you understood where to look for extreme values.

1. What is the definition of relative extrema in calculus?

Relative extrema in calculus refer to the points on a graph where the function has a local maximum or minimum value. These points are relative to a specific interval or range on the graph, rather than the entire graph.

2. How do you find the relative extrema of a function?

To find the relative extrema of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical numbers. Next, plug these critical numbers into the original function to find the corresponding y-values. The points where the y-values are the highest or lowest are the relative extrema.

3. Can a function have more than one relative extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. This occurs when the graph of the function has multiple peaks and valleys within a specific interval. These points can be identified by finding the critical numbers and determining which ones correspond to a local maximum or minimum value on the graph.

4. What is the difference between a relative maximum and a relative minimum?

A relative maximum is the highest point on a graph within a specific interval, while a relative minimum is the lowest point on a graph within a specific interval. In other words, a relative maximum is the highest y-value and a relative minimum is the lowest y-value within a given range on the graph.

5. How can the relative extrema of a function be used in real-world applications?

The relative extrema of a function can be used to optimize a process or find the maximum or minimum value of a quantity. For example, in economics, the relative extrema of a profit function can be used to determine the optimal production level for a company. In physics, the relative extrema of a velocity function can be used to find the maximum height of an object thrown into the air.