1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative extrema problem for Essentials of Calculus

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the relative extrema of each function, if they exist. List each extremum along with the x-value at which it occurs. Then sketch a graph of the function.

25. f(x)=1-x2/3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f prime of (x)= -2/3x-1/3

-2/3x-1/3= 0

??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are no solutions to the equation f'(x) = 0. Extreme values can occur at points other than where the deriviative is zero. What are these other points?

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help, I figured it out.

It was (x)=0 for f'(x) , idk why I couldn't see that. so when i put that in the original equation i got 1. So the x point was (0,1) . And then I found the remaning points on the graph and it was correct with the back of the book answer.

Thank you

If i have another questions, can i just ask here or should i make a new topic? It's the same type of questions just another problem?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. Jul 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

But x = 0 is not a solution of f'(x) = 0, and that's what you were looking for. Do you understand why x = 0 is an extreme point?
    Please start a new thread.

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5
    No i don't know what you mean. I came back from class but I remember this problem still. (0,1) was the realtive maximum at least I am fairly sure. I don't need a solution, i just needed the relative extrema which is (0,1) and then sketch... thats right, isn't it?

7. Jul 13, 2010 #6

Mark44

Yes, (0, 1) is the maximum point. An extreme point of a function f can occur at any of the following:
    1. Points at which f'(x) = 0
    2. Points in the domain of f at which f' is undefined
    3. Endpoints of the domain of f

The work you showed in your first post was toward the first point above, but for your function, there are no values x for which f'(x) = 0. It wasn't clear to me that you understood where to look for extreme values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook