1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative molecular mass using unified mass unit

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    The problem
    A bubble of kryptopn (Kr) gas is formed underwater. The bubble has a volume of 2.14x10-6m3 and contains 1.70x1020 krypton molecules each of mass 1.39x10-25kg. The pressure of the gas inside the bubble is 300kPa.

Calculate the relative molecular mass.

The attempt at a solution

When i looked in the markscheme of this paper, the answer was Mr=1.39x10-25/1.66x10-27 as the answer. so does this mean to find the relative molecular mass i divide the mass by the unified mass unit?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2
    What you have calculated is the mass of a Krypton atom in amu (Atomic Mass Units)
    = 83

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    is that the same as the relative molecular mass? what i worked out is what the markscheme had written as the result.

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4
    I have asked a chemistry teacher friend and he said relative molecular mass is given in grams per mole4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook