Relative motion in two dimensions question

In summary: Then use the dot product to find the position of ship B at time t=1 (1,1,1). That will give us the vector AB. Now use the cross product to find the direction of the vector AB. That will give us the vector BA. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between the two points. It is VA+VB.
f25274
Ship A is located at 4 km north and 2.5 km east of ship B. Ship A has a velocity of 22 km/h toward the south, and ship B has a velocity of 40 km/h in a direction 37 degrees north of east. (a) What is the velocity of A relative to B in unit-vector notation with i toward the east? (b) Write an expression (in terms of i and j) for the position of A relative to B as a function of t, where t=0 when the ships are in the positions described above. (c) At what time is the separation between the ships least? (d) What is that least separation?

Homework Equations

i,j are unit vectors.
vPA=VPB+VBA

The Attempt at a Solution

Angles are in degrees
(a)
dr/dtA= -22km/h j
dr/dtB= 40cos(37)i+40sin(37)j
dr/dtBA= -40cos(37)i-22km/h j-40sin(37)j
(b)
[itex]\int[/itex]drBA=[itex]\int[/itex]-40cos(37)i-(22km/h+40sin(37))j dt
rBA=(2.5-40cos(37)t)i+(4-t(22+40sin37))j
(c)
Now I don't know how to solve it lol
(d)

I'm really lost on how you can solve the minimum distance or the time when it reaches the minimum distance.
Please give me at least a hint

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
f25274 said:
(a)
dr/dtA= -22km/h j
dr/dtB= 40cos(37)i+40sin(37)j
dr/dtBA= -40cos(37)i-22km/h j-40sin(37)j
OK, but why not just symbolize the velocities as VA and VB?
(b)
[itex]\int[/itex]drBA=[itex]\int[/itex]-40cos(37)i-(22km/h+40sin(37))j dt
The velocities are constant, so get rid of the integral sign. (Do the integration, if you must.)
(c)
Now I don't know how to solve it lol
First get a simpler expression for part b. Then how would you write the separation as a function of time? Then you can finally use some calculus.

I don't think I understand what you mean by separating as a function of time
rBA=(2.5-31.945t)i+(4-46.073t)j

:( Is this what you mean by simple?

f25274 said:
I don't think I understand what you mean by separating as a function of time
rBA=(2.5-31.945t)i+(4-46.073t)j

:( Is this what you mean by simple?
I'm sorry... you did do the integration. My bad!

The separation is the distance. Now that you have the relative position, how can you express the distance as a function of time? Hint: What's the distance squared?

As always when confused, start by drawing a graph. Let's call the position of ship A at time t=0 (0,0,0). That will make the vectors fixed.

1. What is relative motion in two dimensions?

Relative motion in two dimensions is the study of an object's movement in relation to another object's movement in a two-dimensional space. It takes into account the velocities and directions of both objects to determine their overall motion.

2. How do you calculate relative motion in two dimensions?

To calculate relative motion in two dimensions, you need to first determine the velocities and directions of both objects. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the overall velocity and direction of the objects' motion relative to each other.

3. What is the difference between absolute and relative motion?

Absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point, such as the ground or a stationary object. Relative motion, on the other hand, considers the movement of an object in relation to another moving object.

4. Can relative motion in two dimensions be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, relative motion in two dimensions is often used in real-life scenarios, such as when calculating the trajectory of a projectile launched from a moving vehicle or when determining the relative speed and direction of two vehicles on a collision course.

5. What are some common examples of relative motion in two dimensions?

Some common examples of relative motion in two dimensions include a car moving on a curved road, a boat traveling in a river with a current, and a person walking on a moving train.