Relative Velocity and Position of Ships A and B: Solving for Least Separation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Dante Tufano
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Ship A is located 3.3 km north and 2.7 km east of ship B. Ship A has a velocity of 22 km/h toward the south and ship B has a velocity of 40 km/h in a direction 37° north of east.

(a) What is the velocity of A relative to B?

(b) Write an expression for the position of A relative to B as a function of t, where t = 0 when the ships are in the positions described as above.

(c) At what time is the separation between the ships least?

(d) What is that least separation?


2. Homework Equations : Vaw = Vab + Vbw

3. Okay, so I got the answer for part a, which is -31.95i - 46.07j, but I'm completely lost on the rest of the parts. I have no idea on how to express b in terms of i and j, let alone solve for it, any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I figured out part b, but how can I go about doing part c?