Relative Motion in Two Dimensions

In summary, the conversation is about a light plane traveling at an airspeed of 500 km/h to a destination 800 km north, but due to wind, the pilot must adjust the heading to 20.0 degrees east of due north. The resultant velocity is found using the law of cosines, but the direction is incorrect. A suggestion is given to draw a diagram and connect the vectors to determine the wind velocity. The student also asks for assistance in solving the problem.
vladittude0583

Homework Statement

A light plane attains an airspeed of 500 km/h. The pilot sets out for a destination 800 km due north but discovers taht the plane must be headed 20.0 degree East of due North to fly there directly. The plane arrives in 2.00 h. what were the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the wind velocity?

Homework Equations

Vwg = Vpg + Vpw

The Attempt at a Solution

I had used the law of cosines to find the magnitude of the Vwg which comes out to be 185 km/h, but the direction I calculated is wrong. Could someone pinpoint me in the right direction as far as how to draw the vectors for this relative motion in two dimension?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I also need help with this!

Saintt said:
Unfortunately, I also need help with this!
You'll need to show what you've tried.

Guidelines for students and helpers

Try drawing a vector showing where the plane would go (pointing where the pilot pointed) if there were no wind. Then draw another vector of the actual path. Then connect the ends of those two vectors with the wind vector.

What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the motion of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and the movement of both objects.

What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to an object's movement in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference, while relative motion takes into account the movement of an object in relation to another object that is also moving.

How is relative motion calculated?

Relative motion is calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down the motion of each object into its x and y components and then adding them together to determine the overall relative motion.

What is the significance of relative motion in two dimensions?

Relative motion in two dimensions is important because it allows us to understand the movement of objects in more complex situations where multiple objects are moving simultaneously. It also helps in predicting collisions and understanding the relationship between different moving objects.

What are some real-world examples of relative motion in two dimensions?

Some common examples of relative motion in two dimensions include a person walking on a moving train, a car passing a pedestrian on the sidewalk, and a boat traveling on a river with a current.