Relative Motion of cheetah Problem

In summary, a cameraman on a pickup truck is traveling westward at 19 km/h while videotaping a cheetah moving westward at a speed of 57 km/h. The cheetah suddenly stops, turns, and runs eastward at a speed of 50 km/h, causing a change in velocity that takes 2.2 seconds. The magnitude of the cheetah's acceleration according to the cameraman is 38 km/h, while the magnitude of the cheetah's acceleration according to the nervous crew member is 7 km/h. The equation Vpa=Vpb + Vba and a=V2-V1/t can be used to solve this problem.
MFlood7356
1. A cameraman on a pickup truck is traveling westward at 19 km/h while he videotapes a cheetah that is moving westward 38 km/h faster than the truck. Suddenly, the cheetah stops, turns, and then run at 50 km/h eastward, as measured by a suddenly nervous crew member who stands alongside the cheetah's path. The change in the animal's velocity takes 2.2 s. What are the (a) magnitude of the cheetah's acceleration according to the cameraman and the (b) magnitude of the cheetah's acceleration according to the nervous crew member?

2. Vpa=Vpb + Vba, a=V2-V1/t and Apa=Apb

3. I attempted the problem even though I was confused and got it wrong but here is my attempt:
50-57/2.2 = 0.86

I really don't know what to do. Please Help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MFlood7356! :smile:
MFlood7356 said:
3. I attempted the problem even though I was confused and got it wrong but here is my attempt:
50-57/2.2 = 0.86

No, the cheetah is changing from 57 km/h westward to 50 km/h eastward.

You've calculated it for 57 km/h westward to 50 km/h westward. :wink:

(also, you mustn't use both hours and seconds!)

Okay thank you I got the right answer

1. How does the relative motion of a cheetah work?

The relative motion of a cheetah refers to its movement in relation to other objects or organisms in its environment. It is affected by factors such as the speed and direction of the cheetah, as well as the speed and direction of the other objects or organisms.

2. What is the significance of studying the relative motion of a cheetah?

Studying the relative motion of a cheetah can help us understand how the cheetah moves and interacts with its environment. It can also provide insight into the cheetah's hunting techniques and strategies.

3. How does the relative motion of a cheetah differ from other animals?

The relative motion of a cheetah is unique due to its incredible speed and agility. This allows it to move quickly and efficiently in pursuit of prey, while also being able to quickly change direction and avoid obstacles.

4. What factors can influence the relative motion of a cheetah?

The relative motion of a cheetah can be influenced by various factors such as the terrain, the presence of other animals, and the cheetah's physical condition. Wind and weather conditions can also play a role in how the cheetah moves.

5. How does the relative motion of a cheetah relate to its hunting success?

The relative motion of a cheetah is crucial for its hunting success. Its ability to move quickly and change direction allows it to catch its prey, while also avoiding potential danger. The cheetah's understanding of relative motion is essential for its survival in the wild.