1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Motion Question Involving Rain and Moving Car

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car travels due east with a speed of 45.0 km/h. Raindrops are falling at a constant speed vertically with respect to the Earth. The traces of the rain on the side windows of the car make an angle of 45.0° with the vertical. Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the following reference frames.
    (a) the car

(b) the Earth

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I managed to find the answer of part a) which is 17.7 m/s using simple trigonometry although I didn't really understand why the sign was positive.
    I found the velocity of the car to be 12.5 m/s and with my diagram got:
    sin45=12.5/Vr (Vr= velocity of rain relative to the car)
    Vr = 12.7 m/s

For part b, I thought that
    velocity of rain relative to car = velocity of car relative to earth - velocity of rain relative to earth
    So, 17.7 = Vre -12.5
    So I found the velocity of rain relative to the earth to be 30.2 m/s.

I can't remember where I got that reasoning for part b from, but is that the only thing that's wrong?

Please help...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The sign just depends on your coordinate system; all they want is the magnitude of the velocity.
    OK.
    ?? Typo?

Not exactly. Instead:
    velocity of rain relative to car + velocity of car relative to earth = velocity of rain relative to earth
    No. Realize that the equation above is a vector equation. Apply it to each component separately.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    So, when you say apply the vector equation to each component separately, can I split say the vector of velocity of rain relative to car into horizontal and vertical components?

And that would mean that
    horizontally: Vre= -12.5 +12.5 = 0
    vertically: vre =12.5 + 0 = 12.5

So answer is just 12.5 m/s (down)

If that's not right, then I'm not sure what you mean...

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook