1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative population density of stars and galaxies

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The number of stars around the Sun, within a distance of 17 ly, is 75. The number of galaxies in the local group, within a distance of 4.0 x106 ly from the Sun, is 26.

Calculate the average popluation density, per ly3, of stars and galaxies.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Stars: 75/173
    Galaxies: 26/(4.0 x106)3

But the answers I obtain from my attempt is incorrect :s
    Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2
    What is the shape of the volume element?

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    The question assumes that the Sun is a sphere. So I suppose the volume element is sphere.

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4
    What's the volume of the sphere?

6. Feb 19, 2013 #5
    I think my brain went dead, because I got it after saying that we assume the Sun as the volume of a sphere.

So basically ly is the radius and we divide 75 by the volume of the star and galaxy to get the two answers :smile:

Am I right?! Please approve! :approve:

7. Feb 19, 2013 #6
    Pedantry: it is not the volume of the star, and not the volume of the galaxy. It is the volumes of two balls of the specified radii.

:)

8. Feb 19, 2013 #7

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah, I would say not pedantry at all! It's kind of a crucial detail that you're dividing the number of objects by the volume of the region. I hope the OP gets this now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook