Relative population density of stars and galaxies

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
thornluke
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The number of stars around the Sun, within a distance of 17 ly, is 75. The number of galaxies in the local group, within a distance of 4.0 x106 ly from the Sun, is 26.

Calculate the average popluation density, per ly3, of stars and galaxies.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Stars: 75/173
Galaxies: 26/(4.0 x106)3

But the answers I obtain from my attempt is incorrect :s
Help please!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
voko said:
What is the shape of the volume element?

The question assumes that the Sun is a sphere. So I suppose the volume element is sphere.
 
voko said:
What's the volume of the sphere?
I think my brain went dead, because I got it after saying that we assume the Sun as the volume of a sphere.

So basically ly is the radius and we divide 75 by the volume of the star and galaxy to get the two answers :smile:

Am I right?! Please approve! :approve:
 
Pedantry: it is not the volume of the star, and not the volume of the galaxy. It is the volumes of two balls of the specified radii.

:)
 
voko said:
Pedantry: it is not the volume of the star, and not the volume of the galaxy. It is the volumes of two balls of the specified radii.

:)

Hah, I would say not pedantry at all! It's kind of a crucial detail that you're dividing the number of objects by the volume of the region. I hope the OP gets this now.