1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy: Speed at the edge of the galaxy

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The number of stars in the galaxy is N=10^12 and the radius of the galaxy is Rgalaxy = 20 kPc
    Let m be the average mass of a star in the galaxy.
    what is the velocity of a star at the edge of the galaxy (relative to the center of the galaxy)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had to make 2 assumptions here:
    1) uniform distribution of stars, ## σ=\frac{Nm}{\pi R^2}## .
    2) the star in question is at a distance of R+##\epsilon## from the center, and then take the limit of ##\epsilon ## goes to 1 light year (or any other distance that is way smaller then R).

In order to solve the question I need to find the force, F, on the star and solve ##F=\frac{mv^2}{R}## for v.

In order to find the force, one has to solve the integral ##F=Gmσ \int\limits_0^R\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{rdrd\theta}{(R+\epsilon)^2+r^2-2rRCos(\Theta)}##.
    And that is where i'm stuck.
    Ideas?

Thanks,
    Raz.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    Hmm... Haven't thought of that. But what if the distribution is exponential (##e##)? will the shell theorem still hold?
    My intuition says that different distributions will result in different speeds.

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The shell theorem always holds as long as the distribution is spherically symmetric.

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5
    Thanks. that simplifies things...
    any ideas as to why Mathematica won't solve that integral, though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted