1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity coordinate system

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    (a) A point is observed to have velocity [tex] v_A [/tex] relative to coordinate system [tex] A [/tex]. What is its velocity to coordinate system [tex] B [/tex] which is displaced from system [tex] A [/tex] by distance [tex] R [/tex]? ([tex] R [/tex] can change in time)

I think its [tex] v_B = v_A - \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]. But I am not completely sure why this is the case.

(b) Particles [tex] a [/tex] and [tex] b [/tex] move in opposite directions around a circle with angular speed [tex] \omega [/tex], as shown. At [tex] t = 0 [/tex] they are both at the point [tex] r = l \bold{j} [/tex], where [tex] l [/tex] is the radius of the circle. Find the velocity of [tex] a [/tex] relative to [tex] b [/tex].

So [tex] v_B = v_A - \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] = (\sin t \bold{i }+ \cos t \bold{j)} \omega - (\cos t \bold{i} - \sin t \bold{j}) [/tex].

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Ra = R +Rb, by vector addition, where Ra is the posn vector of the pt wrt frame A, Rb is the posn vector of the pt wrt frame B and R is the posn vector of the origin of frame B wrt A. So, differentiating,

Va = dR/dt + Vb, which is what you've got.

An easier way to remember is that V_a/b = Va –Vb, where the latter velos are wrt the same frame, and V_a/b represents velo of point a wrt point b. This is a vector eqn.

Ra = l*[sin(wt) i + cos(wt) j], if a is moving clockwise.
    Rb = l*[-sin(wt) i + cos(wt) j], if b is moving counter-clockwise.

You can now take the time derivatives, apply the formula, and see if the result tallies with your answer.

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    So [tex] v_B = -l \omega \cos \omega t \bold{i} - \omega \sin \omega t \bold{j} [/tex].

Is this correct?

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

'l' is missing in the 2nd term, otherwise it's correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?