Relative Velocity coordinate system

In summary, the velocity of a point relative to another point can be found by subtracting the velocity of the first point from the velocity of the second point. For particles moving in opposite directions around a circle, their relative velocity can be found using the formula v_a/b = Va - Vb, where Va and Vb are the velocities of points a and b respectively, and l is the radius of the circle.
tronter
(a) A point is observed to have velocity [tex] v_A [/tex] relative to coordinate system [tex] A [/tex]. What is its velocity to coordinate system [tex] B [/tex] which is displaced from system [tex] A [/tex] by distance [tex] R [/tex]? ([tex] R [/tex] can change in time)

I think its [tex] v_B = v_A - \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]. But I am not completely sure why this is the case.

(b) Particles [tex] a [/tex] and [tex] b [/tex] move in opposite directions around a circle with angular speed [tex] \omega [/tex], as shown. At [tex] t = 0 [/tex] they are both at the point [tex] r = l \bold{j} [/tex], where [tex] l [/tex] is the radius of the circle. Find the velocity of [tex] a [/tex] relative to [tex] b [/tex].

So [tex] v_B = v_A - \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] = (\sin t \bold{i }+ \cos t \bold{j)} \omega - (\cos t \bold{i} - \sin t \bold{j}) [/tex].

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ra = R +Rb, by vector addition, where Ra is the posn vector of the pt wrt frame A, Rb is the posn vector of the pt wrt frame B and R is the posn vector of the origin of frame B wrt A. So, differentiating,

Va = dR/dt + Vb, which is what you've got.

An easier way to remember is that V_a/b = Va –Vb, where the latter velos are wrt the same frame, and V_a/b represents velo of point a wrt point b. This is a vector eqn.

Ra = l*[sin(wt) i + cos(wt) j], if a is moving clockwise.
Rb = l*[-sin(wt) i + cos(wt) j], if b is moving counter-clockwise.

You can now take the time derivatives, apply the formula, and see if the result tallies with your answer.

So [tex] v_B = -l \omega \cos \omega t \bold{i} - \omega \sin \omega t \bold{j} [/tex].

Is this correct?

'l' is missing in the 2nd term, otherwise it's correct.

1. What is the definition of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is a measurement of the velocity of an object with respect to another object or reference point. It takes into account the motion of both objects and considers their velocities in relation to each other.

2. How is relative velocity different from absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction with respect to an external, fixed reference point. Relative velocity, on the other hand, is a measurement of an object's speed and direction with respect to another moving object or reference point.

3. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the velocities of both objects or reference points. Then, use vector subtraction to find the difference between the two velocities. This will give you the relative velocity between the two objects.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions. The negative sign indicates that the two objects are moving away from each other.

5. What is the significance of relative velocity in physics?

Relative velocity is an important concept in physics because it allows us to understand the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is used in many areas of physics, including mechanics, astrophysics, and fluid dynamics, to analyze the motion of objects and systems.