Relative velocity of a canoe problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the velocity of a canoe relative to a river. Given the canoe's velocity of 0.470m/s southeast and the river's velocity of 0.490 m/s east, the east component of the canoe's velocity is calculated to be 0.332m/s. However, the final answer may be incorrect due to a possible mistake in the given values.
LadyW

Homework Statement

A canoe has a velocity of 0.470m/s southeast relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing at 0.490 m/s east relative to the earth.Find the magnitude of the velocity Vc/r of the canoe relative to the river. there is a graph: Vr/e pointed directly on the x-axis to the right (positive) and Vc/e pointed 45 degrees down between x positive and y negative axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the east component first;
V=V0*cos 45=0.47*cos45=0.332m/s
V cr=V-Vcriver=0.332m/s-0.490m/s=-0.158 since we need magnitude it's 0.158, however the answer is wrong. Could you please point out my mistakes? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can make a guess to get things started. If the river runs to the east at .5 m/s and you paddle your canoe to the south at .5 m/s you will end traveling south east at √2 * .5 m/s

We have the right direction but we are moving faster then stated in the problem. What you need is

.47 i + x i = .49 * cos45 i

0 j + y j = -.49 * cos45 j

Solve for x and y. They will be the components of the velocity relative to the river.

1. What is the relative velocity of a canoe problem?

The relative velocity of a canoe problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of a canoe in relation to an observer on land or in another moving object.

2. Why is the relative velocity of a canoe problem important?

The relative velocity of a canoe problem is important because it helps us understand how objects move in relation to each other and how their velocities are affected by different factors such as wind, current, and other objects in motion.

3. How do you calculate the relative velocity of a canoe problem?

The relative velocity of a canoe problem can be calculated using vector addition or the law of cosines. It involves breaking down the velocities of the canoe and the observer into their horizontal and vertical components and then adding them together to find the resultant velocity.

4. What are some common real-life applications of the relative velocity of a canoe problem?

The relative velocity of a canoe problem has many real-life applications, such as in navigation, aviation, and sports. It is used to determine the speed and direction of boats, planes, and other moving objects in relation to each other.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the relative velocity of a canoe problem?

One common misconception is that the relative velocity of a canoe problem only applies to canoes. In reality, it can be used to calculate the relative velocity of any two moving objects. Another misconception is that the relative velocity is always equal to the sum of the individual velocities, when in fact it can be affected by other factors such as wind and current.