1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity of a canoe problem

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A canoe has a velocity of 0.470m/s southeast relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing at 0.490 m/s east relative to the earth.Find the magnitude of the velocity Vc/r of the canoe relative to the river. there is a graph: Vr/e pointed directly on the x axis to the right (positive) and Vc/e pointed 45 degrees down between x positive and y negative axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the east component first;
    V=V0*cos 45=0.47*cos45=0.332m/s
    V cr=V-Vcriver=0.332m/s-0.490m/s=-0.158 since we need magnitude it's 0.158, however the answer is wrong. Could you please point out my mistakes? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2
    You can make a guess to get things started. If the river runs to the east at .5 m/s and you paddle your canoe to the south at .5 m/s you will end traveling south east at √2 * .5 m/s

We have the right direction but we are moving faster then stated in the problem. What you need is

.47 i + x i = .49 * cos45 i

0 j + y j = -.49 * cos45 j

Solve for x and y. They will be the components of the velocity relative to the river.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook