Magnitude and Direction, Canoe on River

In summary: Yes, I have learned how to determine angles from x and y components, and I am confident that I could do so for this problem as well.
ap_physics

Homework Statement

A canoe has a velocity of 0.35 m/s southwest relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing 0.65 m/s east relative to the earth. Find the velocity (magnitude and direction) of the canoe relative to the river.

The Attempt at a Solution

0.930985 is the magnitude.
Then I have no clue how to get the angle in terms of counterclockwise from east.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ap_physics said:

Homework Statement

A canoe has a velocity of 0.35 m/s southwest relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing 0.65 m/s east relative to the earth. Find the velocity (magnitude and direction) of the canoe relative to the river.

The Attempt at a Solution

0.930985 is the magnitude.
Then I have no clue how to get the angle in terms of counterclockwise from east.

Thanks very much in advance!

Hi ap_physics; Welcome to Physics Forums.

How did you arrive at an angle of 315 degrees for the canoe's velocity? I would have thought that "southwest" would be halfway between south and west.

Edit: I see you've edited your original so that the angles of the vectors are no longer shown. Perhaps you could just explain your approach to the problem?

Well, I posted my attempt earlier, but it was wrong, and I was given the answer for the velocity by my teacher, as it was too complicated for our level. But, he says I can still find the angle. But, I don't know which formula to use.

ap_physics said:
Well, I posted my attempt earlier, but it was wrong, and I was given the answer for the velocity by my teacher, as it was too complicated for our level. But, he says I can still find the angle. But, I don't know which formula to use.

Okay, what have you learned so far about adding and subtracting vectors? Have you learned how to determine their angles from their x and y components?

I would first clarify the given information. The statement mentions that the canoe has a velocity of 0.35 m/s southwest relative to the earth. This means that the canoe is moving at a speed of 0.35 m/s in a direction that is 45 degrees southwest from the east-west axis.

Next, the statement mentions that the river is flowing at a velocity of 0.65 m/s east relative to the earth. This means that the river is moving at a speed of 0.65 m/s in the direction of due east.

To find the velocity of the canoe relative to the river, we can use vector addition. This means that we need to add the velocities of the canoe and the river to get the resultant velocity.

Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can calculate the magnitude of the resultant velocity as follows:

Resultant velocity = √(0.35^2 + 0.65^2) = 0.75 m/s

To find the direction of the resultant velocity, we can use trigonometry. The angle between the resultant velocity and the east-west axis can be found using the inverse tangent function as follows:

Angle = tan^-1 (0.65/0.35) = 61.63 degrees

Since the canoe is moving towards the southwest, the angle between the resultant velocity and the east-west axis would be 180 - 61.63 = 118.37 degrees.

Therefore, the velocity of the canoe relative to the river is 0.75 m/s at an angle of 118.37 degrees counterclockwise from due east.

1. What is magnitude and direction in the context of a canoe on a river?

Magnitude refers to the size or strength of a force, while direction indicates the path or orientation of the force. In the case of a canoe on a river, magnitude and direction would refer to the speed and direction of the current, as well as the force and direction of the paddling.

2. How do magnitude and direction affect a canoe on a river?

Magnitude and direction play a crucial role in determining the motion of a canoe on a river. The magnitude of the current and the force of the paddling will determine the speed of the canoe, while the direction of these forces will determine the direction of the canoe's movement.

3. Can you explain how to calculate the magnitude and direction of a canoe on a river?

The magnitude of the canoe's velocity can be calculated using the formula V = d/t, where V is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. The direction of the canoe's velocity can be determined by using a compass or by measuring the angle between the canoe's path and a reference direction, such as North.

4. How does the magnitude and direction of the current change in different parts of the river?

The magnitude and direction of the current can vary in different parts of the river depending on factors such as the depth, width, and shape of the river, as well as any obstacles or features in the water. Generally, the current may be faster and stronger in narrower sections of the river, while it may be slower and weaker in wider sections or areas with more obstacles.

5. How can understanding magnitude and direction help in navigating a canoe on a river?

Understanding magnitude and direction is essential for navigating a canoe on a river as it allows the canoeist to anticipate and adjust for the speed and direction of the current. By understanding these factors, the canoeist can paddle more efficiently and effectively, making their journey on the river smoother and safer.