1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and Direction, Canoe on River

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A canoe has a velocity of 0.35 m/s southwest relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing 0.65 m/s east relative to the earth. Find the velocity (magnitude and direction) of the canoe relative to the river.

3. The attempt at a solution
    0.930985 is the magnitude.
    Then I have no clue how to get the angle in terms of counterclockwise from east.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi ap_physics; Welcome to Physics Forums.

How did you arrive at an angle of 315 degrees for the canoe's velocity? I would have thought that "southwest" would be halfway between south and west.

Edit: I see you've edited your original so that the angles of the vectors are no longer shown. Perhaps you could just explain your approach to the problem?

4. Jan 2, 2013 #3
    Well, I posted my attempt earlier, but it was wrong, and I was given the answer for the velocity by my teacher, as it was too complicated for our level. But, he says I can still find the angle. But, I don't know which formula to use.

5. Jan 2, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Okay, what have you learned so far about adding and subtracting vectors? Have you learned how to determine their angles from their x and y components?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook