Relative velocity of rain to car

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car traveling east and rain falling vertically. The angle of the rain from the side window of the car is given and the person is trying to find the magnitude of the rain's velocity with respect to the car and with respect to the Earth. They use trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem to solve the problem.
Maiia

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been trying to do this problem with limited success. If someone could help me realize where I went wrong, I would greatly appreciate it

Assume the downward direction is positive. A car travels due east with a horizontal speed of 53.7 km/hr. Rain is falling vertically with respect to earth. The traces of the rain on the side window of the car make an angle of 61.3 degrees with the vertical. a) Find the magnitude of velocity of the rain with respect to the car. b) Find the magnitude of the rain's velocity with respect to earth.

This is what I did: After drawing a picture, I saw that the rain makes a triangle with the side window of the car, so I did 53.7tan(61.3) to get A. For b i used the pythagorean theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maiia said:
Assume the downward direction is positive. A car travels due east with a horizontal speed of 53.7 km/hr. Rain is falling vertically with respect to earth. The traces of the rain on the side window of the car make an angle of 61.3 degrees with the vertical. a) Find the magnitude of velocity of the rain with respect to the car. b) Find the magnitude of the rain's velocity with respect to earth.

This is what I did: After drawing a picture, I saw that the rain makes a triangle with the side window of the car, so I did 53.7tan(61.3) to get A. For b i used the pythagorean theorem.

Hi Maiia! :smile:

The velocity of the rain with respect to the car is the hypotneuse, isn't it?

You used tan, which is opp/adj.

Try again! :smile:

Ohhh I get it now! I got the velocity with respect to car and velocity wrt to Earth mixed up -.- Thanks a lot for your help :)

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the motion of one object in relation to another object. It takes into account the speed and direction of both objects.

2. How does rain's relative velocity to a car affect its speed?

The relative velocity of rain to a car does not directly affect its speed. However, the rain droplets may add resistance to the car's motion, causing it to slow down slightly.

3. Is the relative velocity of rain to a car always the same?

No, the relative velocity of rain to a car can vary depending on the speed and direction of the car, as well as the speed and direction of the rain.

4. Can the relative velocity of rain to a car be negative?

Yes, the relative velocity of rain to a car can be negative if the car is moving in the opposite direction of the rain.

5. How is the relative velocity of rain to a car calculated?

The relative velocity of rain to a car can be calculated using vector addition, taking into account the velocities and directions of both the car and the rain.