Relativistic centripetal force

• Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
genneth, are you implying that Superman can get the ball going at the speed of light just by creating the force ( tension )

F = mc^2 / R ?

If not then why not? I would think a relativistic formula is needed.
Yes, as long as m means the relativistic mass, i.e. [tex]\gamma m_0[/tex]. Notice that I calculated the acceleration, not the force. To be perfectly rigorous, you should actually work out the rate of change of 4-momentum.

Jorrie
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Pervect, your formula for acceleration, even in standard units, is still coming up with dimensions of reciprocal length.
You mean this one from pervect?
[tex]\frac{\beta^2 c^2}{R \left(1-\beta^2 \right)}[/tex]

If so and given that [itex]\beta[/itex] is dimensionless, how on Earth do you get this to have reciprocal length dimensions in standard (SI) units?

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Iam trying to derive this formula:

[tex] p = const. \cdot r [/tex]

For a charged particle moving in a magnetic field, perpendicular to the field lines. And r is the radius of the curvature.

Now I needed the relativistic centripetal force, in Lab-frame (shall measure momenta of relativistic particles tracks in a bubble chamber). All sources I have consulted (wanted to check my derivation), tells me that:

[tex] F = \dfrac{\gamma m v^2}{r} = \dfrac{pv}{r} [/tex]

Just so you guys might have something more to talk about:)

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Iam trying to derive this formula:

[tex] p = const. \cdot r [/tex]
Perhaps you made a typo, and are looking for dp/dt?

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
the constant is 0.3*B, where B is measured in T, and p in GeV/c

Where is my suggested typo?

That forumula is widely used in particle physics.

So what I am saying is that the formula you might be looking for is the one I posted:
[tex] F = \dfrac{\gamma m v^2}{r} = \dfrac{pv}{r} [/tex]
(The Centripetal force)

If one uses this expression for relativistic centripetal force, and F = qvB (when particle is coming in perpendicular to field lines), you'll get:

p = 0.3*B*r, if p is measured in GeV/c

cornfall
Gold Member
Rotation?

Do you remember that relativistic effect happen along the direction of motion?
What relativistic effect are you referring to?

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
the constant is 0.3*B, where B is measured in T, and p in GeV/c

Where is my suggested typo?

That forumula is widely used in particle physics.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. It seems to me that you have two separate questions, though, if I'm understanding it correctly this time.

1) How do you compute the momentum of a particle, given its observed radius of curvature in a magnetic field of known strength. (You've supplied your own answer to this one, it looks right though I haven't double checked it)

2) What is the force (i.e. dp/dt) on that particle in the lab frame?

The answer gamma m v^2 / r is correct here as well with these assumptions.

Note that you have to specify a frame in order to ask what the 3-force is. One of the advantages of 4-forces is that they are geometric, frame-independent objects , but the magnitude of the 3-force definitely depends on the frame in which it is measured.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. It seems to me that you have two separate questions, though, if I'm understanding it correctly this time.

1) How do you compute the momentum of a particle, given its observed radius of curvature in a magnetic field of known strength. (You've supplied your own answer to this one, it looks right though I haven't double checked it)

2) What is the force (i.e. dp/dt) on that particle in the lab frame?

The answer gamma m v^2 / r is correct here as well with these assumptions.

Note that you have to specify a frame in order to ask what the 3-force is. One of the advantages of 4-forces is that they are geometric, frame-independent objects , but the magnitude of the 3-force definitely depends on the frame in which it is measured.
The thing is that I dont have a question, I just wanted to add what I obtained to this discussion.

Maybe I should have written "I WAS trying to derive this forumula.." And then I played a bit, and also searched in some books etc to werify my steps, thats all. And I wanted to contribute with my "research" in this thread, where to OP seemed to find the expression i posted.

Last edited: