Relativistic momentum and energy of a particle

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the mass of a particle given its momentum and total energy in a specific reference frame. The correct approach is to use the total energy equation, E^2 = p^2c^2 + (mc^2)^2 and solve for the rest mass, m. The incorrect approach involved converting the given values to joules and then back to MeV, which resulted in an incorrect answer. The correct solution is to plug in the given values without conversion and solve for the rest mass in MeV, then convert to kg if needed.
w3390

Homework Statement

In a certain reference frame, a particle with momentum of 7 MeV/c and a total energy of 9 MeV. Determine the mass of the particle. I did not mistype this problem, this is the way it appears on my assignment.

Homework Equations

Total Relativistic Energy: E^2=p^2c^2+(mc^2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that since I am given the total energy of the particle and the momentum of the particle, I could plug those values in and solve for m. However, this gives me the wrong answer. I also tried taking both values given and converting them to joules so that my answer for mass would be in kilograms and then converting to eV, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The total energy equation is correct and so is you approach. So unless you show what did in some detail we cannot help you. Also, how do you know the answer is wrong?

Okay, here's my work:

E[tex]^{2}[/tex]=p[tex]^{2}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(mc[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]

(1.44E-9)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=(1.12E-9)[tex]^{2}[/tex](3E8)[tex]^{2}[/tex]+m[tex]^{2}[/tex](3E8)[tex]^{4}[/tex]

(2.0736E-18)=(1.2544E-9)(9E16)+m[tex]^{2}[/tex](8.1E33)

m=1.18E-13 kg

Then using this conversion: (1000 Mev/c[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1.783E-27kg)
I found that 1.18E-13 kg = 1.18E-10 [tex]\frac{MeV}{c^{2}}[/tex]

Oh, do I have to multiply this number by c[tex]^{2}[/tex] in order to get my answer in MeV?

You got tangled up with your conversions. You need to get used to the new units. They make sense. Watch the magic:

E2=p2c2+(mc2)2

Plug in the given values without conversion, but keep track of the units

92 (MeV)2=72c2(MeV)2/c2+(mc2)2

92 (MeV)2-72(MeV)2=(mc2)2

Solve this for the rest mass (mc2) in MeV and convert to kg if you wish.

Thanks a lot kuruman, I didn't even think to solve for the rest mass.

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the momentum of a particle that takes into account its mass, velocity, and the effects of special relativity. It is given by the equation p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does relativistic momentum differ from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum differs from classical momentum in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which become significant at high speeds. This means that as the velocity of a particle approaches the speed of light, its relativistic momentum becomes much larger than its classical momentum.

3. What is the relationship between relativistic momentum and energy?

The relationship between relativistic momentum and energy is given by the famous equation E = mc^2, where E is the energy of the particle, m is its mass, and c is the speed of light. This shows that energy and momentum are closely related and can be converted into one another.

4. How does relativistic energy differ from classical energy?

Relativistic energy differs from classical energy in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, including the increase in energy as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light. This means that the energy of a particle at high speeds is much larger than its classical energy.

5. Can the relativistic momentum and energy of a particle be measured?

Yes, the relativistic momentum and energy of a particle can be measured using various instruments and techniques. These measurements are important in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, where high-speed particles are studied. Specialized detectors and calculations are used to determine the relativistic momentum and energy of a particle.