Relativistic momentum is 1% greater than classical, at what speed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
chris_0101
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How fast must a body be traveling if its forrect relativistic momentum is 1% greater than the classical momentum


Homework Equations


P_r = mv/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))
P_nr = mv
p_r = 1.01P_nr

The Attempt at a Solution



mv/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)) = 1.01mv
mv = 1.01(mv)[sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))]
1 = 1.01[sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))]
1/1.01 = sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))
(1/1.01)^2 = 1-(v^2/c^2)
0.980296 = 1-(v^2/c^2)
0.980296 - 1 = -(v^2/c^2)
-0.01970 = -(v^2/c^2)
(-0.01970)(c^2) = -v^2
0.01970c^2 = v^2
0.0003884c = v

However, this is not the correct answer. The actual answer in the back of the textbook is 0.14c. If anyone can correct my algebra or point me into the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
chris_0101 said:
0.01970c^2 = v^2
0.0003884c = v

The square root of 0.01970 is not 0.0003884 :wink:
 
I cannot believe I overlooked that, it turned out I was squaring the 0.01970. Thanks a lot :)