Relativistic motion and understanding it

In summary: Use the Lorentz factor to find the time as measured by the pilot. In summary, the pilot's clock measures a longer time for the signal light on Mars to blink on and off due to the Lorentz factor. However, the observer on Mars will perceive a shorter time due to time dilation. For the question about the spacecraft passing through a tunnel, the velocity formula can be used without needing to consider the Lorentz factor. However, it is important to clarify when the passing begins and ends in order to accurately calculate the time.
Niles

Homework Statement

E.g.: A spaceship flies past Mars with a speed of 0.985c relative to the surface of the planet. When the spaceship is directly overhead, a signal light on the Martian surface blinks on and then off. An observer on Mars measures that the signal light was on for 80.0ms.

I have to find out, how long time passes when measuring the pulse of light by the pilot of the spaceship?

The Attempt at a Solution

From the observer on Mars, it takes 80 ms. From the pilots inertial frame, it must take a longer time, because of the Lorentz factor.
But how does this add up with the fact, that the pilot won't have aged as much as the observer on Mars when the flight has ended? Because with my calculations, something about ~460 ms is the duration of the pulse. But that is longer time, which is good because of the Lorentz factor, but he will have aged more then? Or is 80 ms to the pilot, and ~460 ms to the observer on Mars?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a question, related to my first post.

A spacecraft traveling 0.9c has the length 91.5 m seen from the outside (so length in rest is 210m). It has to pass a tunnel 215 metres long - how long does this take?

I just use velocity = distance/time, right? There's no need to use Lorentz here?

Niles said:
When the spaceship is directly overhead, a signal light on the Martian surface blinks on and then off. An observer on Mars measures that the signal light was on for 80.0ms.
This statement's a bit fishy. How far does the ship travel in 80 ms? How can it remain "directly overhead" as the light blinks on and off?

Hint: You can treat the flashing of the light as being measured by the moving clock of the pilot. How would the observer on Mars view that moving clock? Work backwards.

Niles said:
A spacecraft traveling 0.9c has the length 91.5 m seen from the outside (so length in rest is 210m). It has to pass a tunnel 215 metres long - how long does this take?

I just use velocity = distance/time, right? There's no need to use Lorentz here?
It depends on what is meant by "pass through" the tunnel. When does the passing begin and end? (Any needed Lorentz factor is already computed for you.)

1) A very good and helpful way of looking at it. Thanks.

2) The text in my book is as follows: "The aircrafts will be in a line that is 91.5 m long and traveling at 90% the speed of light relative to a stationary observer. For how long a time period will the line of aircrafts be inside of the asteroid, which is 215 metres?"

That time for the aircraft ( spacecraft , I hope!) to be inside the asteroid begins when it's nose first enters and ends when its tail leaves.

Oh yeah, it really does say spacecraft .. funny, I hadn't noticed :smile:

So total distance is 215 m + 91.5 m - and from there I use v = dis/tim?

Niles said:
So total distance is 215 m + 91.5 m - and from there I use v = dis/tim?
That's right--that's all there is to it. As seen by the "stationary observer", the spacecraft travels that distance in passing through the asteroid.

1. What is relativistic motion?

Relativistic motion is the movement of an object at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is not absolute and can vary depending on the relative speeds of different observers. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for objects in motion, as observed by a stationary observer. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to pass slower for that object.

3. Can objects really travel at the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for objects with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further. However, particles with no mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of space and time?

The theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time by showing that they are not absolute concepts. Instead, they are intertwined and can be affected by the relative motion of objects. This led to a better understanding of gravity and the concept of space-time.

5. What are some real-life applications of relativistic motion?

Relativistic motion has practical applications in various fields, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. GPS systems, for example, use the principles of relativity to accurately calculate the position of objects on Earth. Particle accelerators, on the other hand, use relativistic motion to accelerate particles to high speeds for research purposes. Relativistic effects are also taken into account in the design and operation of nuclear power plants.