Relativistic motion of the bullet

In summary, the problem involves a distant camera taking an image of a bullet with length l_0 and velocity v. The camera is positioned at an angle \beta relative to a ruler, and the goal is to determine the length of the bullet as seen from the camera. Using Lorentz transformations, the formula for length contraction is applied to find that the contracted length of the bullet is \frac {l_0}{\gamma}. The key concept is that the camera measures the distance by receiving photons from the front and back of the bullet simultaneously, requiring the back photon to be sent earlier due to the bullet's motion. The solution can be found in the "Problembook in Relativity and Gravitation" by using the given hints
Caneholder123
1. A distant camera is taking an image of a bullet of proper length [itex]l_0[/itex] and velocity [itex]v[/itex]. The bullet is moving on a straight line which is parallel to the ruler (a bit behind the bullet, when it is watched from the camera). An angle between the velocity vector and the line that connects the camera with the bullet is [itex]\beta[/itex]. Determine the length of the bullet as seen from the camera, i.e. how much of the ruler is hidden.

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations, from which the formula for the length contraction follows:
[tex]l=\frac {l_0}{\gamma}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't get this problem. Why is the angle [itex]\beta[/itex] given? Under the assumptions that the camera is far from the bullet and that the bullet is close to the ruler, isn't the length of the bullet measured just the contracted length? Angle [itex]\beta[/itex] will be changed, but I just can't see where it goes in this story.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: length contraction always occurs along the direction of motion.

PWiz said:
I didn't position the camera reference frame right. Thank you for the help.

Do you know the answer bro??

Sagar Singh said:
Do you know the answer bro??
No, m8. I don't get it. Doesn't the bullet move only move in x-direction in camera reference frame too, or I am not reading this properly? Sorry for being late with the reply, I was extremely busy last two days.

Caneholder123 said:
No, m8. I don't get it. Doesn't the bullet move only move in x-direction in camera reference frame too, or I am not reading this properly? Sorry for being late with the reply, I was extremely busy last two days.
actually there are many contradictions in this question, i think this is not complete question

Considering the approximations that the camera is far away from the bullet and that the bullet is right in front of the ruler, projection is just the length measured from the camera reference frame. And that length is [itex]\frac {l_0}{\gamma}[/itex] because the motion is just in one direction.

PWiz said:
I realize that. Can you help me with the setup of the problem?

In case you're still wondering how to solve this: This exercise is from the "Problembook in Relativity and Gravitation" (Problem 1.5), see for example here:
http://apps.nrbook.com/relativity/index.html (need flash).

The key point is, that your camera measures the distance by receiving the photon from the front and from the back of the bullet simultaneously.
That means that the photon from the back of the bullet need so be sent earlier than from the front. In this time the bullet travels some length.

The solution is given in the book.

1. What is relativistic motion of a bullet?

Relativistic motion of a bullet refers to the behavior and movement of a bullet at speeds close to the speed of light. This type of motion is governed by Einstein's theory of relativity and takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How does the speed of a bullet affect its relativistic motion?

The closer a bullet's speed is to the speed of light, the more significant the effects of relativity will be. At these high speeds, time will appear to pass slower for the bullet and its length will appear to contract in the direction of its motion.

3. Can a bullet travel at the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light. As a bullet has mass, it will always be limited to speeds below the speed of light.

4. How does the mass of a bullet change due to relativistic effects?

As a bullet approaches the speed of light, its mass will appear to increase according to the theory of relativity. This is known as relativistic mass and is a result of the energy and momentum of the bullet increasing with its speed.

5. What are the practical implications of relativistic motion for bullets?

Relativistic motion of bullets is important to consider in high-speed ballistics and space travel. It can also affect the accuracy of long-range shooting, as the bullet's trajectory may be affected by the time dilation and length contraction experienced at high speeds.