Relativistic speed of a particle

In summary, to find the speed of a particle with twice its rest energy, the equation E2 = p2c2 + m2c4 can be used. However, the approach of setting 3m2c4 equal to p2c2 is incorrect. In relativity, momentum is equal to gamma times mass times velocity, not just mass times velocity.
harpf

Homework Statement

Find the speed of a particle whose total energy is twice its rest energy.

Homework Equations

E2 = p2c2 +m2c4

The Attempt at a Solution

4m2c4 = p2c2 +m2c4
3m2c4 = p2c2
SQRT(3)mc2 = pc
SQRT(3)mc = p
SQRT(3)mc = mv
SQRT(3)c = v
I know I can use E = gamma*mc2 to get the answer, but what have I done wrong in my approach? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
harpf said:
SQRT(3)mc = p
SQRT(3)mc = mv
Your mistake was thinking that momentum equals mv. That's not true in relativity. In relativity, p = gamma*mv.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

1. What is the definition of relativistic speed?

The relativistic speed of a particle is the speed at which an object is moving relative to an observer, taking into account the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is relativistic speed different from classical speed?

Relativistic speed takes into account the effects of special relativity, whereas classical speed only considers the object's speed in relation to a stationary observer. Relativistic speed also takes into account the fact that the speed of light is constant and the maximum speed at which any object can travel.

3. What is the formula for calculating relativistic speed?

The formula for calculating relativistic speed is v = c * tanh(c/u), where v is the relativistic speed, c is the speed of light, and u is the classical speed of the object.

4. Can any object reach the speed of light?

According to the theory of special relativity, no object with mass can reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate further.

5. How does relativistic speed impact time and length of an object?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, meaning that time appears to pass more slowly for the object. Additionally, length contraction occurs, meaning that the length of the object appears to decrease in the direction of its motion.