Relativity Q / Characteristic decay times

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay time and distance of an unstable subatomic particle in the laboratory frame, and the estimation of relativistic effects on a clock's accuracy at high speeds. The first question is answered by equating the decay time in the laboratory frame to the decay time in the meson frame multiplied by the Lorentz factor. The second question involves finding the speed at which relativistic effects become noticeable, and this is done by using the time dilation formula and solving for the speed at which the shift in timing is equivalent to the accuracy of the clock.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1)The pion is an unstable subatomic particle whose characteristic decay time in its own frame is 26ns. A beam of such particles emerges from a source at point X in the laboratory traveling with speed ##v = \sqrt{3}/2\, c## in the laboratory frame. Determine i) the decay time of the particles in the laboratory frame and ii) the distance (as measured in the lab) from the point X to the point Y at which it is found that the concentration of mesons in the beam is reduced to 1/e its value at the source.

2) Given a clock which is accurate to 1ns over a period of 1 second, estimate the speed that the clock has to attain for relativistic effects to become noticable.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) If we denote ##\tau_o## as the char decay time in the meson frame, then ##\tau## will be the char decay time in the lab frame. Just so I am clear on the meanings of these symbols: ##\tau_o## is the time interval of 2 events with the same spatial coordinates and so this interval is measured in the rest frame of some clock. ##\tau## is the time interval of 2 events without the same spatial coords so is measured in a frame moving relative to the stationary clock. Do these make sense? So for the question: in the lab frame, the char decay time is just ##\tau = \tau_o \cdot \gamma##.

ii)It is a well known fact that 1/e of the sample remaining occurs at the char decay time. So the answer to this is, given we are concerned with the lab frame, ##d = \tau \cdot v##?

2) When it says 'relativistic effects become noticable', I presume they just mean that the tick of the clock becomes longer and so the clock becomes less accurate? So in it's rest frame it is accurate to 1 ± 10-9s. I am not sure where to go next with this question. Any hints? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone confirm what I did in the first question and help me with the second?
Thanks!

For 2), should I assume the clock travels some distance , say 1 m, and do v = d/t?

CAF123 said:
2) When it says 'relativistic effects become noticeable', I presume they just mean that the tick of the clock becomes longer and so the clock becomes less accurate?
It means that the shift in timing becomes large enough that it is detectable, despite the clock's only being accurate to 1 in 109. I.e., at what speed is the rate shifted by that much?

I wouldn't be sure how to compute that. Any hints?

CAF123 said:
I wouldn't be sure how to compute that. Any hints?
Hey, you're the studying relativity. I just look it up as necessary on the net... where I see:
t = t0/(1-v2/c2)1/2
So you want the value of v at which (1-v2/c2)1/2 < 1 - 10-9.

1. What is relativity Q?

Relativity Q, also known as relativistic quality factor, is a measure of the speed at which a particle decays. It is related to the decay time or lifetime of the particle, and is used in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics.

2. How is relativity Q calculated?

Relativity Q is calculated by taking the ratio of the energy of a particle to the energy it loses during its decay. It is represented by the equation Q = E/E_loss, where E is the initial energy and E_loss is the energy lost during decay.

3. What is characteristic decay time?

Characteristic decay time, also known as mean lifetime, is the average time it takes for a particle to decay. It is calculated by taking the inverse of the decay rate, which is the probability of a particle decaying per unit time.

4. How is characteristic decay time related to relativity Q?

Characteristic decay time and relativity Q are closely related, as they both involve the concept of decay time. However, while relativity Q is a measure of the speed of decay, characteristic decay time is a measure of the average time it takes for a particle to decay. Relativity Q can be calculated using characteristic decay time and other factors.

5. What are some practical applications of relativity Q and characteristic decay time?

Relativity Q and characteristic decay time are used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to study the decay processes of particles and to make predictions about their behavior. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as PET scans, to track the decay of radioactive substances in the body.