Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reliability and MTTF, what's going on?

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    I am reading a reference that says, with [itex]f(x)[/itex] being the failure probability density function, reliability of a system with that PDF can be expressed as [itex]1 - \int_0^t f(x) dx[/itex]. For a given t, this gives a number. Next, the same reference says that the mean time to failure of the system, [itex]MTTF = \int_0^\infty R(t) dt[/itex]. How is this possible? R(t) returns a number, integrating to infinity over a constant returns infinity...

I guess I am missing some concept.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##R(t)## is not "a number", it is a function of ##t##. ##R(t)## will decrease to ##0## as ##t## goes to infinity, so ##\int_0^\infty R(t)\,dt## can be finite.

For example if ##f(x) = ae^{-ax}## for some constant ##a##

##R(t) = 1 - (1/a)(ae^{-at} - a) = e^{-at}##

and the MTTF = ##1/a##.

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    Thanks

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4
    Also I notice that a lot of sites online show examples with the mean=0. Since it's a PDF, we want only zero onward. So why are there so many examples with mean=0?

6. Dec 9, 2013 #5
    MTTF = 0 implies that the component is already broken: you must be misinterpreting the data - perhaps 0 means that there is no data available for the component? Can you link to an example?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook