Religion stuff in the general discussion forum

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
In summary, Scott is proposing that all religious discussions be moved to the philosophy forum, where they would be better regulated. He argues that religious discussions are not for the general discussion forum and are sensitive and should be avoided. He also suggests that posts concerning the proof of Jesus' exsistence be looked for and removed if they are offensive.
scott_alexsk
Hello, I would like to make a complaint. Especially recently I have seen a large growth of unsupported slander of religion in the general discussion forum (I am not talking about you Honestrosewater:smile: ). In order to minimize this, all religous discussions should be automatically moved to the philosphy forum, where arguements could be better regulated. I don't see why this should not be done.
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
scott_alexsk said:
Hello, I would like to make a complaint. Especially recently I have seen a large growth of unsupported slander of religion in the general discussion forum (I am not talking about you Honestrosewater:smile: ). In order to minimize this, all religous discussions should be automatically moved to the philosphy forum, where arguements could be better regulated. I don't see why this should not be done.
-Scott
Religious discussions are not for the philosophy forum. Discussions of religion are closely watched and have to meet certain guidelines. You're referring to this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106797 and I disagree that there is any "unsupported slander" of religion. The thread is dealing with the Biblical old testament version of God as an opressor.

Last edited:
No, I am not talking about those, but some earlier ones, probably a week ago, which seemed to speculate without giving examples. Some of these issues, I think are too sensitive to be thrown around by a bunch of people chatting in General discussion. I will find the posts and give you some examples later when I have time. Part of the reason I responded to the Old Testiment one was because I was still mad about what was said during those threads. This current thread is nothing like those.
-Scott

Edit: The one thread that bugged the heck out of me was the one concerning the proof of Jesus' exsistence. It was not the topic, but one of the posters who needed to get some real arguements instead of spewing his hate of christianity everywhere.

Last edited:
scott_alexsk said:
No, I am not talking about those, but some earlier ones, probably a week ago, which seemed to speculate without giving examples. Some of these issues, I think are too sensitive to be thrown around by a bunch of people chatting in General discussion. I will find the posts and give you some examples later when I have time. Part of the reason I responded to the Old Testiment one was because I was still mad about what was said during those threads. This current thread is nothing like those.
-Scott
Please let me know, we sometimes miss posts. Also, I will agree to delete posts if a person is particularly offended and it could be viewed that way by more than just the one person complaining. We have recently allowed more religious discussion, as long as it is not saying one religion is better than another, we really don't want to encourage religious discussions.

my mama said don't talk bout religion and politics with people,
something to think about ;p

Thank you for understanding:smile:. I don't know if you caught my edit, but just to restate, there was an individual in the thread concerning proof of Jesus' exsistence, who had no real arguements but seemed to make up stuff as he went along. His only agenda seemed to slander christianity rather than speculate on the evidence. I think you can guess who he is.
-Scott

Edit/Hint: I loved his argument on the resurrection.

Last edited:
If you see a particularly offensive post in a thread, you can use that button that looks like an exclamation point to report it to the mentors. Sometimes a single post in the middle of a thread can be missed, and, as Evo said, if it's really offensive, we can delete it.

What is the purpose of discussing religion in a general discussion forum?

The purpose of discussing religion in a general discussion forum is to provide a space for individuals to share their thoughts, beliefs, and experiences related to religion. It can also serve as a platform for respectful and open-minded discussions about different religious perspectives and practices.

Why is religion a commonly discussed topic in general discussion forums?

Religion is a commonly discussed topic in general discussion forums because it is a fundamental aspect of human culture and identity. It also has a significant impact on societal and political issues, making it a relevant and important topic to discuss.

What is the importance of respecting different religious beliefs in a general discussion forum?

Respecting different religious beliefs in a general discussion forum is important because it promotes tolerance, understanding, and empathy towards others. It also creates a safe and inclusive environment for individuals to freely express their thoughts and opinions without fear of judgment or discrimination.

How can one participate in discussions about religion without causing offense?

One can participate in discussions about religion without causing offense by being respectful, open-minded, and avoiding making personal attacks or derogatory comments towards others' beliefs. It is also essential to listen actively and try to understand different perspectives without imposing one's own beliefs onto others.

What are some benefits of discussing religion in a general discussion forum?

Discussing religion in a general discussion forum can lead to increased knowledge and understanding of different religious beliefs and practices. It can also foster meaningful connections and promote dialogue and mutual respect among individuals of diverse backgrounds. Additionally, it can provide a sense of community and support for those who share similar beliefs.