1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remainder/factor theorem question

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    The question is
    Find "a" and "b":

f(x) is
    ax^3 - bx^2 + 2x - 12

Divisor is
    x^2 - 5x +6

Remainder is
    2x - 3

So what I tried to do was divide f(x) with the divisor and take the the remainder that I got and let it = 2x - 3 but I always get stuck in the end. My teacher suggested using the division statement but I'm not quite sure how that will help.

Thanks for helping!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

One method to solve this is use polynomial long division starting at the end, where you know the remainder, the divisor, and the last two terms of the dividend, which allows you to determine the last term of the quotient, then work backwards until you solve for b then a.

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    ouu okay I see!
    But is there a shorter method to this?

Thanks in advance

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

What you have is

ax^3 - bx^2 + 2x - 12 = (cx + d) (x^2 - 5x + 6) + (2x - 3)

where a, b, c and d are unknown. You could subract (2x - 3) from both sides first, then use the long division method or inspection to determine the values, but subtracting (2x - 3) from both sides is the same as what you're doing in the first step of working the long division backwards. This backwards long division method is used in general for "division problems" when there are unknowns in the dividend, divisor, and/or remainder.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. Oct 4, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, If f(x) divided by g(x) yields a quotient q(x) and remainder r(x), then

[itex]f(x)=g(x)\cdot q(x)+r(x)\ .[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]f(x)-r(x)=g(x)\cdot q(x)\ .[/itex] So that g(x) divides (f(x)-r(x)) with a remainder of zero.

Notice that in your problem the divisor, x2 - 5x +6, is factorable. Apply the factor theorem to f(x)-r(x), with each of those factors.

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6
    :biggrin:
    Okay I get it now!
    Thanks everybody for all your help!!! :smile: :!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook