Remainders, need Help proving a simple notion

• I
  • Thread starter mrandersdk
  • Start date
In summary: For your second question: Yes, the pattern will always repeat if m and n are coprime.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between remainders and coprime numbers, specifically in the context of division and modular arithmetic. It is noted that when dividing a whole number by another whole number, the possible remainders are limited to 0, 1, 2,...n-1. The pattern of remainders is shown for the first five multiples of seven divided by five, and it is hypothesized that this pattern repeats due to 7 and 5 being coprime. The conversation also touches on the idea of proving this pattern for any two coprime numbers, and the generalization that can be made.
mrandersdk
Hello

Today I looked at something that seems like it should have a simple solution, but I may have looked at for too long, and can't solve it. My problem is as follows.

When you divide a whole number by a whole number n, then it is clear that the possible remainders are 0,1,2,...n-1. If you then look at 7 devided by 5 you get remainder 2, 14 by five gives 4, 21 by 5 gives 1, 28 by 5 gives 3, and 35 by 5 gives 0, then the pattern repeats. That is all possible remainders is achieved by the first five multiplums of seven. I know it must have something to do with 5 and 7 being coprime. Because 18 and 15 shows a different pattern.

In general is it possible to show that if m is lager than m and n and m are coprime, then the first n multiplums of m devided by n, will always achieve all the possible remainders?

Are there anyway to prove what will in general happen to the pattern if n and m are not Co prime. It seems to me that all remainders are achieved, but one need to remove the remainders, in which the number that devides n and m, devides.

Hope my two questions Makes sense.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you are asking why 1.7, 2.7, 3.7, 4.7, 5.7 all have different remainders after divison by 5. do you know modular arithmetic? this is asking why none of those 5 numbers are equal mod 5. Well iof they were, then their difference would be zero mod 5. I.e. there would be a number k between 1 and 4, such that k.7 = 0 mod 5. This would be a number k such that 7.k is divisible by 5, and 0 < k < 5. Do you see why this cannot happen? can you generalize?

Hey thanks i think i got it. I will take a closer look at it tommorrow and try to post the generalization

For your first question: If two numbers give the same remainder, then their difference is a multiple of the divisor, which makes the original numbers not coprime.

1. What is a remainder?

A remainder is the number that is left over after dividing one number by another. For example, when dividing 10 by 3, the remainder is 1.

2. How do I calculate a remainder?

To calculate a remainder, you can use the modulo operator (%). This operator returns the remainder after dividing one number by another. For example, 10 % 3 would return a remainder of 1.

3. What is the purpose of remainders in mathematics?

Remainders are often used to represent fractions or decimals. They can also be used to check if a number is divisible by another number. Additionally, remainders are useful in solving problems involving division, such as finding the number of equal groups or items that can be made from a given quantity.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-life scenario where remainders are used?

One example is when dividing a pizza among a group of people. If there are 10 people and the pizza has 3 slices left, each person would get 3 slices, with a remainder of 1 slice. This remainder represents the leftover slice that cannot be evenly divided among the group.

5. How can I prove a simple notion involving remainders?

To prove a simple notion involving remainders, you can use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the notion holds true for a base case, and then proving that if it holds true for any given case, it will also hold true for the next case. This process is repeated until the notion is proven for all possible cases.