Remember the *Real* Star Trek Series?

In summary: series, given that it was rife with sexist stereotypes and characterization. William Shatner IS Captain Kirk. Picard is not even in the same ballpark.I'd question if the Star Trek franchise is still "going strong". Sure the reboot films have been a success and there's a lot of fans of the various series but it's been ten years since there's been a single new episode, and that was Enterprise which wasn't well received. Voyager finished 14 years ago, DS9 16, TNG finished 21 years ago!
himagain
I recently found a SF treatment I wrote years ago, based on the original Star Trek series and showed it to various friends as an idea for a new book.
What was amazing was the near universal reaction as to how they all hated the wishy-washy New-Agey (common usage) new version with its strange characterisations.

Okay, we are oldies - remember a different world before "P.C." - a world of hard science to a degree but great traditional political/moral strength.

None of them could even imagine how this old, balding, effeminate Stage Actor could be a replacement for Kirk. A sentiment I completely agreed.
I thought I was alone, as the Star Trek Franchise is still going strong - at least in the USA.
What do you think out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kirk vs Picard? Picard, hands down.

Unless I'm missing your real point, because I have trouble imagining how Patrick Stewart could be reasonably described as "effeminate".

Likes Evo, Ryan_m_b and OCR
I thought the captain (Kirk) of the original series was a bit more like a 'Wild West' sheriff character while Picard more like a WW2 general.

himagain said:
Finally, Patrick is a lovely fellow, but nothing about him and his movements suggests anything other than someone playing in "Othello".

Well, what about that Canadian Shakespearean stage actor William Shatner?

Likes CalcNerd and Ryan_m_b
rootone said:
I thought the captain (Kirk) of the original series was a bit more like a 'Wild West' sheriff character

Or a gangster boss...

604025_1306111735228_400_300.jpg

himagain said:
Easy. He is literally a book collector - worse, a reader! :-)
You are probably quite young - born in a different universe to the old Star Trek fans.
We didn't have square-jawed females as "stars" and who - worse - were bosses over males (!) and final ignominy - were not only invariably portrayed as smarter - but better fighters. The last many years have been totally unkind to males.

Finally, Patrick is a lovely fellow, but nothing about him and his movements suggests anything other than someone playing in "Othello".
Certainly not the look, much less the moves of the macho Kirk.
All us old-style real males miss him and the world of Men (capital M) but interestingly, so it seems, do the real Women (capital W).
I was beginning to think I was alone - the last of my kind. Getting old is a bummer... :-{

You sound more like Archie Bunker than Captain Kirk

Likes russ_watters
A French guy speaking with an English accent? Sounds made up.

So does a Klingon speaking in Mid-West USA sort of accent.

rootone said:
So does a Klingon speaking in Mid-West USA sort of accent.
It depends what setting your universal translator is on I guess :)

I watched ST on its original run on NBC when I was a kid back in the '60s. So my opinions of the later series and characters are colored by this experience.

jtbell said:
php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimages4.fanpop.com%2Fimage%2Fquiz%2F604000%2F604025_1306111735228_400_300.jpg

William Shatner IS Captain Kirk. Picard is not even in the same ballpark.

Likes montoyas7940, himagain and CalcNerd
I'd question if the Star Trek franchise is still "going strong". Sure the reboot films have been a success and there's a lot of fans of the various series but it's been ten years since there's been a single new episode, and that was Enterprise which wasn't well received. Voyager finished 14 years ago, DS9 16, TNG finished 21 years ago!

My point is that, aside from the reboot films which are very different, I suspect there are very few new fans being drawn to the franchise and rather than "going strong" it's dwindling as it's fans get older and older.

himagain said:
Easy. He is literally a book collector - worse, a reader! :-)

Are you joking or do you seriously have a problem with an academically leaning character? If so you're on the wrong forum. Also didn't Kirk get A Tale of Two Cities for his birthday in Wrath of Khan...?

himagain said:
You are probably quite young - born in a different universe to the old Star Trek fans.
We didn't have square-jawed females as "stars" and who - worse - were bosses over males (!) and final ignominy - were not only invariably portrayed as smarter - but better fighters. The last many years have been totally unkind to males.

I'm shocked that no one has called you up on your blatant sexism yet. Sorry but it's not the 1950s anymore; women are and should be bosses over men and women where they have the skill. I assume you're talking about Janeway now who I quite liked as a captain. She was strong and smart but unlike Picard was able to foster a sense of kinship amongst her crew. As for being better fighters if you mean hand-to-hand there are plenty of women in the world that are accomplished fighters. The average man might have an advantage of strength over the average women but given the context of the setting we're not looking at average people.

It surprises me that you would even like Star Trek, the original series was very progressive. It was the first TV show to show an interracial kiss (Plato's Stepchildren) and despite the geopolitics of the time the crew represented several nations and continents. Off the top of my head the main characters consisted of two Americans, a Russian, a Scot, Japanese, a woman from the United States of Africa and an Alien.

himagain said:
Certainly not the look, much less the moves of the macho Kirk.

Picard isn't macho no, and that's a good thing.

himagain said:
All us old-style real males miss him and the world of Men (capital M) but interestingly, so it seems, do the real Women (capital W).
I was beginning to think I was alone - the last of my kind. Getting old is a bummer... :-{

"Real males". I'd laugh if you hadn't made me feel like vomiting.

Last edited:
rootone said:
I thought the captain (Kirk) of the original series was a bit more like a 'Wild West' sheriff character while Picard more like a WW2 general.
EXACTLY! Where men were men, etc...

himagain said:
EXACTLY! Where men were men, etc...

Right, so you've really got nothing more to say than admitting your views on gender are stuck in the same decade as the show. Well Star Trek, and the rest of the world, has moved on since then. I don't see any point in keeping this thread opened.

Likes russ_watters, Evo and berkeman
I am old enough to have seen the original series. I rather liked "Start Trek- The New Generation". No, Patrick Stewart is not William Shatner- he's a much better actor for one thing. I liked the plots in the original series and Leonard Nimoy but sometimes Shatner's acting was just embarrassing! I did not particularly like "Star Trek-Voyager" and really disliked "Star Trek-Enterprise" (and I just remembered that I completely forgot "Deep Space Nine"- which shows, I guess, that I didn't care for it but was not as turned off as by "Enterprise"!).

I was extremely offended by the "reboot"- it looked to me like they were just saying "we are going to completely ignore the original series, just taking the name to trick fans of it into going to this movie"!

1. What is the "Real" Star Trek Series?

The "Real" Star Trek Series refers to the original television series created by Gene Roddenberry in 1966, also known as Star Trek: The Original Series. It follows the adventures of the Starship Enterprise and its crew, including Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock.

2. How many seasons and episodes are there in the "Real" Star Trek Series?

The "Real" Star Trek Series has three seasons with a total of 79 episodes. It originally aired from 1966 to 1969.

3. What makes the "Real" Star Trek Series different from the other Star Trek iterations?

The "Real" Star Trek Series is the first and original version of the franchise, setting the foundation for all future iterations. It introduced iconic characters, themes, and storylines that have become synonymous with the Star Trek universe.

4. Are the special effects in the "Real" Star Trek Series outdated?

Yes, the special effects in the "Real" Star Trek Series may seem outdated by today's standards. However, they were groundbreaking and innovative for their time and are still appreciated by fans for their charm and nostalgia.

5. Is it necessary to watch the "Real" Star Trek Series before watching the newer versions?

No, it is not necessary to watch the "Real" Star Trek Series before watching the newer versions. Each iteration can stand on its own, but watching the original series can provide a better understanding and appreciation for the franchise as a whole.