1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remote Control Overhanging Table

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.090 kg remote control 24.2 cm long rests on a table, as shown in the figure below, with a length L overhanging its edge. To operate the power button on this remote requires a force of 0.460 N. How far can the remote control extend beyond the edge of the table and still not tip over when you press the power button? Assume the mass of the remote is distributed uniformly, and that the power button is on the end of the remote overhanging the table.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    Torque=Nr

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made the FBD, but I can't figure out how to implement the Normal force into my torque equation. It screws with my results!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The normal force (like a see-saw) acts at the table edge when the remote is just about to tip. Sum torques about the edge of table; the Normal force won't enter into the equation when you sum torques about it. Don't forget the torque produced by the weight of the remote.

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    Why is it at the edge of the table? Wouldn't it be in the middle of the remote?

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The normal force occurs over the contact area between the remote and table; when the remote is just on the verge of tipping over, that contact is now just over one point: the table edge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?