• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Remote Control Overhanging Table

• Thread starter proace360
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A 0.090 kg remote control 24.2 cm long rests on a table, as shown in the figure below, with a length L overhanging its edge. To operate the power button on this remote requires a force of 0.460 N. How far can the remote control extend beyond the edge of the table and still not tip over when you press the power button? Assume the mass of the remote is distributed uniformly, and that the power button is on the end of the remote overhanging the table.

11-30.gif

2. Homework Equations
Torque=Nr

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I made the FBD, but I can't figure out how to implement the Normal force into my torque equation. It screws with my results!

Attachments

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
A 0.090 kg remote control 24.2 cm long rests on a table, as shown in the figure below, with a length L overhanging its edge. To operate the power button on this remote requires a force of 0.460 N. How far can the remote control extend beyond the edge of the table and still not tip over when you press the power button? Assume the mass of the remote is distributed uniformly, and that the power button is on the end of the remote overhanging the table.

11-30.gif

2. Homework Equations
Torque=Nr

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I made the FBD, but I can't figure out how to implement the Normal force into my torque equation. It screws with my results!
The normal force (like a see-saw) acts at the table edge when the remote is just about to tip. Sum torques about the edge of table; the Normal force won't enter into the equation when you sum torques about it. Don't forget the torque produced by the weight of the remote.

Why is it at the edge of the table? Wouldn't it be in the middle of the remote?

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Why is it at the edge of the table? Wouldn't it be in the middle of the remote?
The normal force occurs over the contact area between the remote and table; when the remote is just on the verge of tipping over, that contact is now just over one point: the table edge.