Torque: Overhanging Books on Table

In summary, the problem involves three identical books stacked over the edge of a table, with the top book overhanging the middle book by 1/2L and the middle book overhanging the bottom book by 1/4L. To prevent the books from falling, their center of gravity must be over the table, resulting in a net torque of 0. By setting the pivot point at the edge of the table and treating the books as having unit weight, the equations can be simplified to solve for the overhang distance of the bottom book, which is found to be 1/6L.
mochigirl

Homework Statement

3 identical books, each with length L, are stacked over the edge of a table. The top book overhangs the middle book by 1/2L and the middle book overhangs the bottom book by 1/4L. How much can the bottom book be allowed to overhang the edge of the table without the books the (other) books falling?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached this problem assuming that in order for the three books to not fall, their center of gravity must be at least over the table so that there is normal force to counterbalance the books' gravitational force. And so the net torque of the book mass must 0. I placed the pivot point for the torque at the left end of the bottom book

So far, I have \tau=-[(mL/2)+m(L-xL)+m(L+L/4)]/3m * 3mg

x= the fraction of the bottom book's length allowed to overhang the table.
but I have no idea what to do with the normal force and what the normal force value is.

-------ALSO-------

I read from another thread in which people said that as long as the center of mass of the 2nd book is above the edge of the bottom book and the same for the bottom book over the table, the problem is solved. (https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-73791.html)

I tried that on mastering physics with answer being 1/4L and tried again with 1/2L. neither worked...can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mochigirl said:

Homework Statement

3 identical books, each with length L, are stacked over the edge of a table. The top book overhangs the middle book by 1/2L and the middle book overhangs the bottom book by 1/4L. How much can the bottom book be allowed to overhang the edge of the table without the books the (other) books falling?

I approached this problem assuming that in order for the three books to not fall, their center of gravity must be at least over the table so that there is normal force to counterbalance the books' gravitational force. And so the net torque of the book mass must 0. I placed the pivot point for the torque at the left end of the bottom book

So far, I have \tau=-[(mL/2)+m(L-xL)+m(L+L/4)]/3m * 3mg

x= the fraction of the bottom book's length allowed to overhang the table.
but I have no idea what to do with the normal force and what the normal force value is.

Welcome to PF.

That is the right approach. Toss m*g and treat them all as having unitary weight just for simplicity.

For T = 0 then

(L/2 - x) bottom book
(L/4 - x) middle book
-(L/4 + x) top book (because it's necessarily to the other side of the pivot point.)

Just add those puppies up and know they should = 0. Solve for x in terms of L.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

That is the right approach. Toss m*g and treat them all as having unitary weight just for simplicity.

For T = 0 then

(L/2 - x) bottom book
(L/4 - x) middle book
-(L/4 + x) top book (because it's necessarily to the other side of the pivot point.)

Just add those puppies up and know they should = 0. Solve for x in terms of L.

Thanks for replying! I have some questions on how you arrived at the answer.

1) how did you get those center of gravity positions for each book
2) what did you mean by "to other side of the pivot point"
and how do you treat the three books as one unitary mass if we only have the center of gravity points for each book?

mochigirl said:
Thanks for replying! I have some questions on how you arrived at the answer.

1) how did you get those center of gravity positions for each book
2) what did you mean by "to other side of the pivot point"
and how do you treat the three books as one unitary mass if we only have the center of gravity points for each book?

1) Well I thought I was reading the drawing that I made from the problem description.

Bottom book only overlaps the pivot by x, what you want to find. It's CoM is at L/2.
Middle book is offset L/4 closer. So the CoM is L/4 closer.
Top book is offset L/2 farther still, which puts its CoM beyond the edge of the table by L/4 and the offset x still to be added to that.

2) I like to simplify so I can focus. All the m*g's acting at the CoM of each book (at L/2 of each book) just want to be gotten rid of to my eye, so that's what I did. Poof. Unit weight acting at L/2.

As to the pivot point, I chose the edge of the table. Things to the left + and things to the right -.

ooh, I see my problem. I set the pivot to the left END of the bottom bottom so I got really confused. I changed the pivot point and used a slightly different method setting the center of mass of the bottom book to x1 and got -L/3

and then did L/2-L/3=L/6

That's the same answer as yours. YAY =D THANK YOU!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque relate to overhanging books on a table?

When books are placed on a table in an overhanging position, the weight of the books creates a force that causes torque. The point of rotation is the edge of the table, and the distance is the length of the books that are overhanging.

3. What factors affect the torque of overhanging books on a table?

The two main factors that affect the torque in this scenario are the weight of the books and the length of the overhang. The weight adds to the force, while the length increases the distance from the point of rotation, resulting in a higher torque.

4. How can torque be calculated for overhanging books on a table?

To calculate the torque in this situation, you will need to know the weight of the books and the length of the overhang. Multiply these two values together to get the force, then multiply the force by the length of the overhang to get the torque.

5. How can torque be reduced in overhanging books on a table?

To reduce the torque in this scenario, you can either decrease the weight of the books or decrease the length of the overhang. This will result in a smaller force and/or a shorter distance from the point of rotation, resulting in a lower torque.