Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remote Controlling Truss Dobsonian Telescope?

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    Is it possible to rig a Truss Dobsonian telescope like this one so that you can control it remotely from inside of a building while the telescope itself is on the roof of the building? Then is it possible to attach some sort of adapter to the telescope that would allow you to hook up a camera that could beam the image back live to a screen inside the building?

If all of that is possible, how would you go about doing it and approximately how much would it cost??

What kind of dome would you need to house a telescope like this if you were to want to just leave it setup on the roof?

Here's the scope I was thinking of:
    http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...sonian-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/15/p/102018.uts

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

First and foremost, are you aware that even equipping a telescope with a camera will not give you amazing pictures in real-time? You'll see perhaps a bit better than you would with the naked eye if you have a good quality, low-noise camera, but it won't be anything close to the pictures you usually see taken through telescopes.

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    yes sir I am aware of that

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Alright. Well, I can't help you too terribly much with the details, as I don't use a computer to control my scopes. I'm not sure there are many here on PF that could, so I'd recommend checking out the cloudynights forum, as they are dedicated to amateur astronomy and should be able to help you with all the details.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are computer driven adapter kits available for dobs, if that is what you desire.

7. Oct 26, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes it is all possible

My celestron CPC925 is computer controllable either from the hand controller on the scope or remotely via programs like Stellarium
    for the specifics of remote control of that particular scope you linked to ... see the manufacturer, telescope shop or the cloudy nights forum that Drakkith suggested

for good operations, you DO NOT want this scope up high off the ground where vibrations will render it useless
    It needs to be mound on a very solid concrete foundation on the ground to minimise as much of the vibrations as possible
    A dome big enough that the scope has clear movement, if you are going to remote the scope, then the dome will need to be remote controlled as well

Dave

8. Oct 27, 2015 #7
    Thank you folks so much for the info! I'll be sure to look into all of that, this is really great help I appreciate it

9. Oct 27, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

look forward to hearing from you and seeing some pic's when you get a system up and running :)

Please keep in touch on the forum :smile:

Dave

10. Oct 28, 2015 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook