Remote Controlling Truss Dobsonian Telescope?

In summary: Thanks for the heads up!In summary, it is possible to rig a Truss Dobsonian telescope like this one so that you can control it remotely from inside of a building while the telescope itself is on the roof of the building. It is also possible to attach some sort of adapter to the telescope that would allow you to hook up a camera that could beam the image back live to a screen inside the building.
GiantSheeps
Is it possible to rig a Truss Dobsonian telescope like this one so that you can control it remotely from inside of a building while the telescope itself is on the roof of the building? Then is it possible to attach some sort of adapter to the telescope that would allow you to hook up a camera that could beam the image back live to a screen inside the building?

If all of that is possible, how would you go about doing it and approximately how much would it cost??

What kind of dome would you need to house a telescope like this if you were to want to just leave it setup on the roof?

Here's the scope I was thinking of:
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...sonian-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/15/p/102018.uts

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
First and foremost, are you aware that even equipping a telescope with a camera will not give you amazing pictures in real-time? You'll see perhaps a bit better than you would with the naked eye if you have a good quality, low-noise camera, but it won't be anything close to the pictures you usually see taken through telescopes.

Drakkith said:
First and foremost, are you aware that even equipping a telescope with a camera will not give you amazing pictures in real-time? You'll see perhaps a bit better than you would with the naked eye if you have a good quality, low-noise camera, but it won't be anything close to the pictures you usually see taken through telescopes.

yes sir I am aware of that

Alright. Well, I can't help you too terribly much with the details, as I don't use a computer to control my scopes. I'm not sure there are many here on PF that could, so I'd recommend checking out the cloudynights forum, as they are dedicated to amateur astronomy and should be able to help you with all the details.

There are computer driven adapter kits available for dobs, if that is what you desire.

Likes GiantSheeps
GiantSheeps said:
Is it possible to rig a Truss Dobsonian telescope like this one so that you can control it remotely from inside of a building while the telescope itself is on the roof of the building? Then is it possible to attach some sort of adapter to the telescope that would allow you to hook up a camera that could beam the image back live to a screen inside the building?
yes it is all possible

My celestron CPC925 is computer controllable either from the hand controller on the scope or remotely via programs like Stellarium
for the specifics of remote control of that particular scope you linked to ... see the manufacturer, telescope shop or the cloudy nights forum that Drakkith suggested
GiantSheeps said:
What kind of dome would you need to house a telescope like this if you were to want to just leave it setup on the roof?

for good operations, you DO NOT want this scope up high off the ground where vibrations will render it useless
It needs to be mound on a very solid concrete foundation on the ground to minimise as much of the vibrations as possible
A dome big enough that the scope has clear movement, if you are going to remote the scope, then the dome will need to be remote controlled as well
Dave

Likes GiantSheeps
Thank you folks so much for the info! I'll be sure to look into all of that, this is really great help I appreciate it

Likes davenn
GiantSheeps said:
Thank you folks so much for the info! I'll be sure to look into all of that, this is really great help I appreciate it

look forward to hearing from you and seeing some pic's when you get a system up and running :)

Please keep in touch on the forum :smile:

Dave

Likes GiantSheeps
Likes davenn

1. How does a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope work?

The remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope works by using a series of motors and gears to control the movement of the telescope. It is controlled by a remote or a computer, which sends signals to the motors to adjust the direction and focus of the telescope.

2. What are the advantages of using a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope?

One advantage of using a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope is that it allows for easier and more precise control of the telescope, especially for objects that are difficult to locate in the night sky. It also eliminates the need for physically adjusting the telescope, which can be tiring and time-consuming.

3. Can a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope be used for astrophotography?

Yes, a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope can be used for astrophotography. However, it may require additional equipment such as a camera mount and tracking system to capture clear and high-quality images.

4. How far away can a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope see?

The distance a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope can see depends on various factors such as the size and quality of the telescope, atmospheric conditions, and light pollution. However, with a powerful enough telescope, it is possible to see objects millions of light years away.

5. Is a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope suitable for beginners?

While a remote controlled truss Dobsonian telescope may seem intimidating to beginners, it can be a great choice for those who are just starting out in astronomy. The remote control allows for easier navigation and the Dobsonian design is relatively easy to set up and use. However, it may require some learning and practice to fully utilize all of its features.