Removal of snow during constant snowfall (flawed solution)

• Thread starter JSGandora
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the problem is to determine the time at which snow started falling, given that a snowplow cleared 2 miles of snow between 12 PM and 1 PM, and 1 more mile of snow between 1 PM and 2 PM. The flawed solution used a trapezoid argument, assuming that the amount of snowplowed in each hour was the same, but this is not the case since the distance traveled does not depend linearly on the time passed. The correct solution used the fact that the instantaneous velocity of the snowplow is inversely proportional to the time after the snow started falling. This yields a solution of 11:23 AM for when the snow started falling.
JSGandora

Homework Statement

A snowplow can remove snow at a constant rate (in cb. ft/min). One day, there was no snow on the ground at sunrise, but sometime in the morning it began snowing at a steady rate. At noon, the plow began to remove snow. It had cleared 2 miles of snow between noon and 1 PM, and 1 more mile of snow between 1 PM and 2 PM. What time did it start snowing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried to do the problem without Calculus and I found an answer, however my answer does not match the correct solution answer and I am having trouble finding the flaw in my non-Calculus solution. Can someone help me find the flaw in my solution?

My Flawed Solution:
Let [itex]f[/itex] be the rate of snowfall and [itex]r[/itex] be the rate of snow removal. Like the AoPS solution, let noon be the time [itex]h[/itex] hours after the snow started falling. Let the width of the snowplow be [itex]w[/itex].

So in first hour after noon, the snowplow plowed [itex]r[/itex] amount of snow. In the second hour, it also plowed [itex]r[/itex] amount of snow. What is important is that it plowed the same amount of snow in the first and second hours.

Additionally, the instantaneous height of snow that is plowed at time [itex]t[/itex] after the snow started falling is [itex]tf[/itex] and thus the shape of all the snow that has been removed to be a trapezoid in the first and second hours.

The trapezoid that is plowed in the first hour has height [itex]2\text{ miles}[/itex] and bases [itex]hf[/itex] and [itex](h+1)f[/itex]. The trapezoid that is plowed in the second hour has height [itex]1\text{ mile}[/itex] and bases [itex](h+1)f[/itex] and [itex](h+2)f[/itex] and since the amount of snow that is plowed in the first hour is equal to the amount of snow plowed in the second hour, we must have the volumes of both trapezoids equal. So we have

[itex]w(2\text{ miles})\frac{hs+(h+1)s}{2}=w(1\text{ mile})\frac{(h+1)s+(h+2)s}{2} [/itex]
[itex]s2(2h+1)=s(2h+3) [/itex]
[itex]4h+2=2h+3[/itex]
[itex]2h=1[/itex]
[itex]h=\frac12.[/itex]

Thus the snow started falling exactly half an hour before noon which is [itex]11:30[/itex] AM, which does not match the correct solution.

Correct Solution:
Observe that the instantaneous velocity of the snowplow is inversely proportional to the time after the snow started falling, so [itex]\frac{\text{d}{s}}{\text{d}t}=\frac{k}{t}[/itex] for some constant [itex]k[/itex] where [itex]s[/itex] is the position of the snowplow and [itex]t[/itex] is the time after the snow started falling. Thus we have
[itex]
\frac{\text{d}{s}}{\text{d}t}=\frac{k}{t}\implies s(t)=k\ln t+C
[/itex]
for some constants [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex].

Let noon be the time [itex]h[/itex] hours after the snow started falling, so we have
[itex]s(h+1)-s(h)=k(\ln h+1-\ln h)=2\text{ miles}[/itex]
and
[itex]
s(h+2)-s(h+1)=\ln h+2 -\ln h+1 =1\text{ mile}
[/itex]
so

[itex]2k(\ln h+2-\ln h+1)=k(\ln h+1-\ln h) [/itex]
[itex]2\ln\frac{h+2}{h+1}=\ln\frac{h+1}{h}[/itex]
[itex]\left(\frac{h+2}{h+1}\right)^2=\frac{h+1}{h}[/itex]
[itex]h^2+h-1=0[/itex]
[itex]h=\frac{-1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\approx 0.618[/itex]

so it started snowing [itex]0.618[/itex] hours before noon which is about 11:23 AM.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand your trapezoid argument and feel that herein lies the problem. Could you perhaps elaborate?

Edit: To be more specific and not require you to re-type the whole thing. Could you elaborate on the statement

JSGandora said:
Additionally, the instantaneous height of snow that is plowed at time [itex]t[/itex] after the snow started falling is [itex]tf[/itex] and thus the shape of all the snow that has been removed to be a trapezoid in the first and second hours.

Ohh, I believe I found the flaw, the shape is not a trapezoid because the distance traveled does not depend linearly on the time passed.

1. How does constant snowfall make snow removal more difficult?

Constant snowfall makes snow removal more difficult because it requires continuous effort to keep up with the accumulating snow. As soon as you finish removing snow from one area, more snow will have already fallen in another area, making it a never-ending task.

2. What is the "flawed solution" for removing snow during constant snowfall?

The flawed solution for removing snow during constant snowfall is to only remove the top layer of snow without taking into account the underlying layers. This can lead to uneven surfaces and can create hazardous conditions for walking or driving.

3. Why is the "flawed solution" not effective in the long run?

The "flawed solution" is not effective in the long run because it only addresses the surface level of snow, leaving the underlying layers to continue accumulating. As a result, the snow will eventually become too deep and difficult to remove, making it more challenging to maintain safe and clear pathways.

4. What are the consequences of using the "flawed solution" for snow removal?

The consequences of using the "flawed solution" for snow removal include uneven surfaces, potential for slips and falls, reduced visibility for drivers, and increased workload as the snow continues to accumulate. It can also lead to damage to surfaces, such as driveways or walkways, due to excessive weight from the accumulated snow.

5. What is a better solution for removing snow during constant snowfall?

A better solution for removing snow during constant snowfall is to continuously remove snow in layers, rather than just the top layer. This involves regular snow removal to keep up with the accumulating snow and prevent it from becoming too deep. Additionally, using salt or other de-icing materials can help to prevent the buildup of ice and make snow removal easier in the long run.