Remove sugar from industrial wastewater

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in finding a solution for the high sugar content in wastewater from a factory that produces sweets. The water report shows high levels of BOD and COD, as well as iron concentration above the standard limit. They have researched the Biomembrane Reactor and RO systems as potential solutions but are concerned about the cost. They are seeking recommendations for a system to remove the sugar with a clear explanation of the process. The flow rate for the factory is 900-1000 L/Hr. They have also mentioned that there may be companies that specialize in removing sugars from wastewater.
mathsTKK
Good evening everyone! I am new to this forum, nice to know any member in this forum ^^

I have a question here which I can't figure out how to solve a problem. Recently, I have been asked about the water filtration system in a factory which produce sweets. The sugar can't be removed from the wastewater, causing it to fail to meet the environment standard of wastewater. The water report shows that the sugar content and BOD is high but others are fine.

I have done some research from the internet and found one common term which is the Biomembrane Reactor. Some claim that RO may also be one of the solutions. However, I think that RO System will be very expensive. Therefore, can someone suggest what system should be used to remove the sugar in wastewater with explanations of the process?

Your kind assistance is highly appreciated. I hope that some can help me to solve this problem. I'm sure that this discussion will be mutually beneficial ^^

Thank you everyone!

From,
mathsTKK

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me? tq :)

What is the concentration and flow rate?

According to the water report, the BOD and COD are particularly high. COD 19.8 compared to standard of 20 whereas BOD 5000++ compared to standard of just 80 mg/L. Besides, the concentration of iron is 1.3 compared to 1.0 as the standard limit.

The flow rate is 900-1000 L/Hr.

The factory produces sugar product and high content of sugar has been detected. Is there an easier way to solve the problem?
Thank you so much for your concern ! I truly appreciate !

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the process for removing sugar from industrial wastewater?

The process for removing sugar from industrial wastewater typically involves several steps. First, the wastewater is screened to remove any large solid particles. Next, the water is treated with chemicals to help coagulate and settle out smaller particles. Then, the water is passed through filters to remove remaining solids. Finally, the water is treated with microorganisms that consume the sugar and convert it into carbon dioxide and water.

2. Why is it important to remove sugar from industrial wastewater?

Sugar can be harmful to aquatic life and can also contribute to the growth of harmful bacteria in water. Additionally, the presence of excess sugar in wastewater can disrupt the natural balance of microorganisms that play a crucial role in the breakdown of organic matter. Removing sugar from industrial wastewater helps to protect the environment and maintain the health of ecosystems.

3. What methods are commonly used to remove sugar from industrial wastewater?

Some common methods for removing sugar from industrial wastewater include biological treatment, chemical treatment, and physical treatments such as filtration and sedimentation. Each method has its own advantages and may be used alone or in combination with other methods depending on the specific needs of the wastewater treatment plant.

4. Can sugar be completely removed from industrial wastewater?

While it is possible to significantly reduce the amount of sugar in industrial wastewater, it is difficult to completely remove all traces of sugar. This is because sugar is a natural byproduct of many industrial processes and can be difficult to completely break down. However, with proper treatment, the amount of sugar in wastewater can be reduced to levels that are safe for the environment.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to removing sugar from industrial wastewater?

One potential drawback of removing sugar from industrial wastewater is the cost and energy required for the treatment process. Additionally, some treatment methods may produce byproducts that also need to be properly disposed of. It is important for wastewater treatment plants to carefully consider the most efficient and environmentally-friendly methods for removing sugar from their wastewater to minimize any potential drawbacks.