Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Peroxide cleaned burnt sugar from my pan!

1. Jun 1, 2018 #1
    I did something really stupid, and walked away from a sugar solution I was heating on the stove (4 parts water, 1 part table sugar for humming bird feeders). I got distracted, and the sugar was burnt onto the pan, carbonized, really bad.

Some came off in chunks, but a thick layer adhered to the stainless steel pan. I had a cover on the pot at the time, I assume the lack of oxygen kept it from flaming?

The web had many recommendations for baking soda and water at a simmer. I was skeptical, but figured I had little to lose, baking soda is cheap and pretty safe. Almost no effect, even though I gave it a couple tries and left it simmer for 20 minutes or more.

Then I see recommendations for Hydrogen Peroxide. OK, that sounds a little riskier, but not too dangerous. I was skeptical at this point, but I added ~ 1/4" of the generic 3% stuff to the pot, and as it reached a simmer, about half of it lifted right off. Alright! Another 5 minutes of simmering and swirling and ~ 99% was off, and little wiping removed the rest. Looked like new.

I assume the people reporting success with the baking soda merely had a thick, cooked, hard syrup that would still react with water? What I had was carbon, charcoal like stuff (yes, there was a lot of smoke, and two alarms were beeping - it was bad).

I'm not well versed in chemistry, any simple explanation of what happened with Hydrogen Peroxide, heat and carbonized sugar?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2018 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A catalyst for decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, making your request for a "simple explanation" a bit more complex.

4. Jun 1, 2018 #3
    So you are saying the stainless steel acted as a catalyst between the hydrogen peroxide and the carbonized sugar? And people may have had different results in, say an enamel (or other) lined pan?

If so, and a simple explanation isn't possible, that's OK, I would not understand a complex explanation! That would be good enough - thanks.

5. Jun 10, 2018 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wonder if this would work on anything else burned in a pan, not just sugar...

6. Jun 10, 2018 #5
    Or in a non-stainless steel vessel (seems the SS acts as a catalyst?)? Fortunately, I haven't had a badly burnt pan since then, but if/when I do I will try it, and try to remember to post back here.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted