Removing mustard odor from a steel barrel for reuse

  • Thread starter Thread starter mwood
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    cleaning Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
mwood
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello;

I have a strange practical issue. I picked up a steel barrel which was used to store dijon mustard. I intend to use the steel to fashion a hood for a small rivet forge. But, although the barrel has been cleaned, it still has a very strong smell.

My question is: how can the mustard smell be neutralized? and, what would be the best way to prepare the steel?

Googling the subject did not produce much, I did run across a home remedy site which suggested liquid glycerin for removing mustard stains from clothes. So I wonder if cleaning with glycerin and coating with stove black would make sense?

Thanks
Mike
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bleach perhaps? But it can corrode the steel, so be careful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is that smell something like vinegar? Mustard by itself has almost no odor. Try a throrough wash/scrub with a bicarb solution.